PDA

View Full Version : Discus or Semi-hermetic

keepitcool
05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Hello all,
I am admittedly not a ***** guy. All of my background is in Ammonia refrigeration. I do have a good customer that wants to add a small cooler/freezer(about 12,00 sq/ft total) I have got quotes from a couple of vendors and they want in different direction. I would like to put this out to the experts in this field.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

nike123
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Hello all,
I am admittedly not a ***** guy. All of my background is in Ammonia refrigeration. I do have a good customer that wants to add a small cooler/freezer(about 12,00 sq/ft total) I have got quotes from a couple of vendors and they want in different direction. I would like to put this out to the experts in this field.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Copeland Discus is semi-hermetic! There is noting to choose from.;)

keepitcool
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
None of the semi-hermetic machines are piston compressors?

NoNickName
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
All of the piston reciprocating from Copeland are semihermetic.

keepitcool
05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
So we have established that both types of compressors are semi-hermetic. Are there any distinct benefits to discus over piston compressors?

NoNickName
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Discus ARE piston compressors. They are called discus because of a patented valve design, later mimicked by Dorin as well.

keepitcool
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I am showing my ignorance. So the only real difference is a reed valve or a "discus" valve,right? Thanks for the help. I apologize for the dumb questions. I am just outside my comfort zone here.

taz24
05-08-2008, 05:36 PM
So the only real difference is a reed valve or a "discus" valve,right? Thanks for the help. I apologize for the dumb questions. I am just outside my comfort zone here.

Spot on mate.

Discus compressors are Copland semi hermetic piston (recip) comps. They were developed about 20 years ago and as you state, they are the alternative to the reed valve.
The discus valve is more like the valve system that is found on the larger industrial comps and I'm sure you know them intimately :D.

Cheers taz.

powell
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
12,000 sq ft is large enough for bigger HP units. That's about 77' x 77' per box.

Being that the Discus is used now in most applications larger than 3 HP I would say that your vendors might be quoting "Scrolls" versus "semi-Discus".

Check it out.;)