PDA

View Full Version : I love my job

Tycho
26-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Got a service call yesterday to one of the coastal express liners that run the coast of Norway with passengers/tourists and cargo

The ship had had a service engineer onboard in the northern part of norway (they brag about all the fishing they do, but obviously, keeping the fish cold isnt one of their traits), and he had told the Chief "I think you have to get this looked at in the south" when he said south he meant south of the polar circle.

So the ship continued it's voyage, and they called my service manager as they followed their route southwards...

and as they hit my town, I jumped onboard.
The problem they couldnt fix in the northern part was that the AC system shut down on LP.
They gave no reason, no possible cause just "get it fixed south"

Anyways I was set to follow the ship for two days, Aalesund to bergen and then from bergen and back to Aalesund

so I jumped onboard in Aalesund at midnight, got hold of the 1st engineer and he said "I'll show you to your cabin" I said "maybe I could have a quick glance at the system first, so I have some kind of idea of what I might expect to come up against tomorrow"

So he showed me the plant..

The cooler was drained of liquid, and the pilot reciever was full of liquid, I opened the PM1-65 valve (liquid injection to the cooler) and watched as the level in the cooler rose rapidly (sighing in relief that they hadnt frozen the cooler)

Checked the solenoid, it was burnt changed it and it still didnt work.

started checking the Bühler contacts in the pilot, took them apart and checked them one by one, still no go. and went to sleep...

in the morning me and the ships electrician banged our heads together and gave eachother a hand and found that the relay on the PLC had called it a night.

we didnt have a spare output module so I ended up soldering ut a spare contact from the motule we had and replacing that one with the broken one.

Put the output module back in the PLC and started testing...

When the pilot level rose above the setpoint the valve opened, but stayed open even when the pilot was empty...

Spent about an hour trying to find out what was wrong, before I opened the bühler on AC numer two and found that in my haste the night before I had mounted both contacts upside down...

It's working like a charm now...

But how many jobs are there in the worls where you go unboard a ship expecting to be lugging the endcover of a 1500Kw cooler and plugging a few pipes but instead find yourself peering through a magnifying glass exchanging a relay on a plc without skorching the contacts of the next relay.

Yes indeed I love my job :)

But at times I really hate it :)

Grizzly
26-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Your talking about Kit that is completely alien to me!
But I do know and agree with you that complete buzz, you get when a plant is reinstated after a particular problem is solved.
The more obscure the better I would say.
I guess it could be said you have had a couple of good days then Tyco.
Thanks for sharing...
Steve.

p_p
26-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Did you catch any fish lol!

PP

Tycho
15-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Your talking about Kit that is completely alien to me!
But I do know and agree with you that complete buzz, you get when a plant is reinstated after a particular problem is solved.
The more obscure the better I would say.
I guess it could be said you have had a couple of good days then Tyco.
Thanks for sharing...
Steve.

ooops, didnt notice that there was any replies in here :)

It's an refrigerated fresh water, similar to RSW systems on fishing boats, only the chiller has more pipes and the pipes are made of copper, and they are not cooling down water in tanks but circulating it up to an AC heat exchanger that blows air to all the cabins and common areas...

in summer a mere two hour shut down of the system can have the ambient temp inside go from a cool 22 C to 30 degrees and have the passengers complaining to the officers in no time (they have paid for the voyage, so I understand)

on one of the sister ships, the onboard engineers were to change the filter driers and tried to pump down the system unfortunately for them, the LP switch wasnt working, so they froze the chiller solid and four of the pipes in the chiller burst and dumped 1200 Kg of R-22 into the cold waterline, thus the safety valves in the cold water line opened and emptied the cold water line of both water and *****...

I spent over a month onboard that one to get the plant up and running (fortunately they have to AC plants)

The scary thing was when I looked at the oil level in the compressor and found none, but when I started draining the plant of water I found the oil to start filling the sight glass from the top :) how they had managd to fill the compressor beats me, but they had done it :) luckily the oil had gone up into the compressor, but the water hadnt.

oh and fixing an obscure problem that others have given up on is more satisfying than sex... well, ok maybe not that satisfying, but pretty close :)

Tycho
15-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Did you catch any fish lol!

PP

No fish to be seen... but some of the cabin maids were getting kinda frisky upon seeing a fresh face in the crew quarters... oh to be free and single :/

US Iceman
16-08-2008, 01:34 AM
oh and fixing an obscure problem that others have given up on is more satisfying than sex... well, ok maybe not that satisfying, but pretty close :)

...but some of the cabin maids were getting kinda frisky upon seeing a fresh face in the crew quarters...

I think I am starting to see a pattern form here.

Are you providing on the job training in refrigeration to the female personnel?:D

Magoo
16-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Tycho
You have the passion for work, do not forget your wifes support system though, you will be lost with out her.
magoo

Latte
11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I love my job, but watching this i think i may train as a pilot.

http://files.ww.com/files/12585.html

brianubaldo
12-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Tycho

YOUR THE MAN..

nike123
12-09-2008, 05:12 AM
:D I think he also love his job:
http://files.ww.com/files/40914.html

brianubaldo
12-09-2008, 07:22 AM
:D I think he also love his job: