PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point....

monkey spanners
08-07-2008, 07:06 PM
.....of doing things properly?

A friend of mine got called to look at some aircon in a server room. Turned up to find that another company had already been out and diagnosed a faulty compressor.
He though he may as well take a look as he was there.
Run system, compressor starts but fan only going at slow speed, found fanspeed control probe loose, replaced. Fan now runs.
Still not working as expected so he fits gauges, sytem in a vacuum:eek:
After pressure testing he found the suction flare nut loose by half a turn.....
Tightened, checked, vacced, recharged, system now running.
No idea as to original fault which i guess may or may not show itself again.

I can only think that the other company had let all the refrigerant out to save recovering before they changed the compressor....
They are on the REFCOM register.

MS

US Iceman
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
From what you describe there is nothing to indicate a faulty compressor existed in the first place. Sure, perhaps there was an intermittent problem that might have lead someone to think a problem resided with the compressor, however, if the system is still running with no issues after the work your friend did do then I have to think someone was trying to sell compressors.

Based on the evidence so far, there is a bigger problem than only the missing refrigerant. Maybe a case for ethics on the part of someone.

monkey spanners
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I have seen this other company 'recovering' refrigerant through thier vac pump before when changing a compressor on Aircon, we were working a couple of shops away and being nosey i had a wander to see what they were doing, so nothing would suprise me.

I think at best they were incompetent and at worst dishonest, but we will need to see the system run ok for a few days to be sure.

Jon

chemi-cool
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the real world of "skilled":D engineers, listen to what happened to me a few weeks ago,

My uncle called me, telling me that the compressor has gone in his central AC. I came with a new 4 HP compressor, checked every thing and found out that the out door fan didn't work duo to faulty connector, replaced it and than I looked in the main electric and found a faulty RCD which was the cause for all the the problems but the engineer that came to check was very sure of himself....

US Iceman
08-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi Chemi.

If all else fails....just change the compressor!:D

Josip
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
The oil crisis affected all businesses and there is a few greedy companies trying always to skin the customers .....are we the losers always trying to make the customer smile or this is not the way..........?? just get the money and run away...........

no, we are not the losers.... I prefer to make the customer smile.... money is not everything... unfortunately some people need time to realize that....

.... majority of us are good people working hard and honest.... and that must be our attitude (IMHO;))

... to get the money and run away cannot last for long time....

Best regards, Josip :)

old gas bottle
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
money is not everything for sure,but it takes the pain out of being poor :)

i like to think we do a good job for the money but theres a awfull lot of customers dont agree:eek: and think we should work for naff all !:(

philfridge
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Just like any other discipline we have our own share of dikkheads in the fridge game. I find this very annoying at times but I myself try to be an honest , hard working :o good engineer lol. I will do the job to the best of my ability but do think sometimes whats the point when others are robbing and bodging or both.