PDA

View Full Version : Australian going to the UK to work - Licensing requirements?

Arc
06-07-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm from Australia currently working as a HVAC technician (service and maintence) and am moving to the UK at the beginning of 2009 for a working holiday.
The Australian licenses I hold are my trade certificate (ref and a/c), D permit (restricted electrical license), Plumbing Industry Commison registered and refrigerant handling license.
What I would like to know is what are the required licenses to work in the UK and how do I get them, will my certificates transfer to the UK, will I need to sit any examinations, who is the governing body etc.
It looks like I will be starting my journey in London can anyone recommend some good HVAC companies, what sort of pay to expect, even just advice on what to expect/look out for. The more knowledge the better.

The Viking
06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
As a minimum you will need the safe handling certificate.

THESE (http://www.ellistraining.com/) people run assessments for time served engineers and they are based in north London. Basically, you turn up, show them that you know how to safely use the equipment and then leave with your certificate.
The whole process takes a couple of hours.