PDA

View Full Version : discharge valve

iceman3000
22-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi

Can somebody tell me syptoms of a broken discharge valve???

thanks

broon
22-06-2008, 11:10 PM
head pressure low?
'whistling' in head and pressure equalisation after shutdown?

tell us more...

US Iceman
23-06-2008, 12:07 AM
High discharge temperature
hot compressor
lower cooling capacity

sounds like a lot of questions for one day. Is this for home work?

powell
23-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I'll add:

1. High suction pressure
2. High superheat at the evaporator outlet
3. High amp draw
4. Loss of cooling capacity, the compressor runs near
normal pressures but does not cool properly.

narkom
23-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll add:
3. High amp draw

Why "high"? If discharge valve is broken,compressor runs in bypass mode, so power consumption decreases.

GXMPLX
23-06-2008, 08:29 PM
For semi-hermetics also:
1)
High blow by = Crankcase pressure higher than suction pressure.

This may cause false differential oil pressure trips.

If the oil check valve is dirty or does not close well or the pressure is applied for long periods of time, all the oil in the crankcase gets pushed to the motor. When the compressor stops, the oil will be magically restored through the check valve that opens.

For hermetics and semi-hermetics:
2) Deformed connecting rods. The piston gets pushed down all the time so no oil enters the upper part of the connecting rod causing wear. The eye of the rod becomes oval shaped.

3) Chemical reactions: Acids + Sludge production. Disolved copper deposited in high temperature surfaces like bearings.

Never experienced high amps but could be if broken valves form an obstruction. You still get low flow (lower amps) but has to go trhough an obstruction (higer amps). It is possible.

powell
23-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Why "high"? If discharge valve is broken,compressor runs in bypass mode, so power consumption decreases.
A result of high suction pressure and high Superheat.

Also, a busted discharge valve allows high pressure gas to re-expand in the cylinder wall which wears out wrist pins due to lubrication problems. This also creates higher amp draw.

frank
23-06-2008, 09:15 PM
And, - oil foaming, loss of circulation, poor refrigeration effect, - oh SH*T

I've done it again Teach.

Sorry

Best have a word with Iceman3000 and tell him to stop posting his homework on the forum.!!!

iceman3000
23-06-2008, 09:25 PM
cheers guys