PDA

View Full Version : Copeland scroll pump

westnlas
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Good morning everyone, Anyone had the problem of the croll pump making extremely loud noises a few minutes after start up ? Start is fine. I am calling for a service tech later today, but here in Las Vegas it's a darn good idea to have a diagnosis to any problem before you let anyone even look at your stuff !
I feel that the time delay switch might be faulty ? Anyway, after you guys retire, you can sit on the computer all night too. LOL Have a great day, stay safe, and thanks for any help.

powell
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Good morning everyone, Anyone had the problem of the croll pump making extremely loud noises a few minutes after start up ? Start is fine. I am calling for a service tech later today, but here in Las Vegas it's a darn good idea to have a diagnosis to any problem before you let anyone even look at your stuff !
I feel that the time delay switch might be faulty ?

westnlas,

I'm assuming this is a residential unit so I'll rule out 3-phase.

It could be this:

Some model scrolls have an internal pressure relief (IPR) valve. This valve opens at a discharge to suction differential of 375 to 450 psi (R-22) or 550 to 625 psi (R-410A). Usually due to a restriction in the system

You should definitely call a service tech soon.

westnlas
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, it is a residential unit. When it first did it, I noticed the contacts on the relay contactor were badly burnt and arcing, so I replaced that part. I didn't like the look of the capacitor, so I had it checked, and it was good. A restriction could happen, but I didn't know the R22 could clog up. The only other thing could be a broken part in the line ? I've never had the system cracked since installed. Thanks a ton ! Now just finding the right guy to take a look at it. Like I said, stay safe, don't let experience make you complacent guys.

GXMPLX
13-06-2008, 08:25 PM
If motor runs but compressor does not compress, it is what westnlas mentioned, or it could be a temperature actuated unloader depending on Scroll model. But if the compressor keeps compressing you could be getting liquid slugs and either way you need to have the system checked soon. It is not normal for scrolls to make relays fail unless they are flooded with refrigerant on sturtup. Three phase systems would break the scrolls, single phase will cause motor protector trip (thus afecting contactor life) until the motor boils enough refrigerant to let the motor start. Any of these conditios will cause a failure soon. So call the technician now!