PDA

View Full Version : Helping myy son to start out in the refrigeration business

blackheathbaggy
04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm a novice (3 years) refrigeration engineer and am enjoying learning the job and have taken my son out for a ride when on call many times and he really seems keen on the idea of following in my footsteps. He left school last week (has to return for another 5 exams) and he has asked me to help him to get into the refrigeration trade ( i know, i've tried to talk him out of it but he is really keen). I've asked at my company but because of cutbacks they ain't employing any trainee's at present so i'm wondering how/where/ what to do to get him started.A problem may be his school exams won't be of a really high standard but he isn't thick and as a few on here have said 'there ain't many new people entering the trade'.
We're West Midlands based and i thought somebody on here might have some idea's that might help him/us.

mgtet
05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
try b.e.s.t.: building engineering services training, they are a training agency based in the midlands. I did my appreticeship through them some 13 years ago and they provided me with an employer and sorted out college courses.

eggs
06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello Blackheat.

We have a young lad who could be described just as you describe yours:

A problem may be his school exams won't be of a really high standard but he isn't thick.

and this is where the problem starts. Our young lad has been with us for 12 months and can more or less do the full nuts and bolts installation work, his brazing is excellant. His ductwork is very neat and tidy.
He has never been late once, never had any time off, so we thought we would send him off to college.
When i contacted our local training provider they more or less told me to forget it, unless he goes and gets some Maths, English and a Science GCSE's first.
This kid did not get on with school at all, he was expelled from two schools and finished his "education" in a correction centre.
I am also at a loss as to what to do with him. He is a good lad who has had his troubles, but now he's in a mans world he has knuckeled down and worked hard. I fear if we send him back into the classroom doing GCSE's the boy will come out again.

Sorry this doesn't help you Blackheat, but maybe sombody can point us both in the right direction.

Cheers

Eggs

chillin out
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
When i contacted our local training provider they more or less told me to forget it, unless he goes and gets some Maths, English and a Science GCSE's first.
I would try and appeal this, it has been proven that sitting in a classroom does not work for some young people.
I think if you speak to the right people they can pull some strings.
Unless that is, if an English GCSE is part of the makeup of the course he wants to sit.

Chillin:):)

taz24
09-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Hello Blackheat.

I am also at a loss as to what to do with him. He is a good lad who has had his troubles, but now he's in a mans world he has knuckeled down and worked hard. I fear if we send him back into the classroom doing GCSE's the boy will come out again.

Sorry this doesn't help you Blackheat, but maybe sombody can point us both in the right direction.

Cheers

Eggs

If you go through a training provider then they set the criteria and most only accept trainees if they have level C's or above in the exams.
Colleges will only accept new starters under the same conditions if you want funding.
If the lad is under 19 then he can get his training funded by the govenment if over 19 the full cost must be paid.
If you want to do the level 2 NVQ then its 2 years at college with 3 exams at the end of it plus a completed portfolio detailing all his working evidence.

If he went through a training provider then he would come out with a modern apprenticeship the same as the NVQ but covers all the health & safety, first aid and fire awareness quals plus he must attain a level two in all the key skills which is literacy, numeracy and IT.

So the lads have to be bright and have to do a lot of classroom learning.

The long and the short of it is if you want the lad to have a full apprenticeship and get funding then he will have to have a least C's from his exams.

For the NVQ with no funding then they should not be able to stop him, but he may stuggle with the exams.

Cheers taz

eggs
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Cheers Taz

eggs

blackheathbaggy
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks all my some will have some GCSE passes he's expected to get passes in English (c-d), Maths (d-f), Spanish (b-d), catering (c-d), bussiness studies (c), Public services ( at least a c), Art (d-f). He's not thick and is a whizz on a PC which i've advised he gets into but he wants get into the Fridge Business. I really don't think he'd have problems with the exams. Guess i'll just have to write to a few companies around the area and see if anybodies prepared to take a gamble on him.

Magoo
14-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Similar problem with system here in NZ, the real mechanically inclined young people do not have the flashy school leaving certificate to get a half decent start in any industry. But you cannot tell them that when they are being ars### during school.
Tried here starting them as TA's [trade assistants] then when they mature get a trade started for them. Generally works fine, a bit like putting the cart before the horse. But they generally work out as good hard working tradesmen, long term. Lots of grief on the way. There work skills are 100% so that is the door opener for trade qualification.

magoo

Magoo
14-06-2008, 02:26 AM
To follow on from earlier post.
The young guys looking for a trade start. Having been in industry for decades and having interveiwed many, the trick is to look for the young person with grease under finger nails and having supercharged dads lawnmower, qualifications are not important so long as they talk and listen and absord information.
Once the brain has court up with the hormones rush and they realise that working for peanuts as a TA., is not as good as a tradesperson, then you have a captive listner.
Then life for them becomes easier with a bit of study and learning. Males are the worst, female click in quicker.

Blackheart, hope I am not boring you with things that you have now realised.
Magoo

Pooh
14-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Blackheathbaggy
trying to get companies to take on apprentices is a nightmare especially when they see the prices some of the training companies are charging. I know the college I work at only charges £5-00 a week for training and when you add the minimum wage most companies pay their trainees it does not cost that much in the grand scheme of things especially if you take into account the extra pair of hands they are getting. I do know of a couple of parents that have paid the training costs to the company and then they have paid us, totally wrong I know but the lads have ended up with a trade and the bits of paper. There is so much funding available today for training that is not being accessed by industry, as an example you can even get funding for training a 60 year old as an apprentice if you want.

Hope you get sorted out pity you are not closer to Grimsby as he could have come to us.

Ian

knight rider
14-06-2008, 10:04 PM
hi pooh ,
can you give in information on what kind off funding may be avaiable to me for training ,and how this can be accessed
i am thinking off employing 22 year old guy who want to get into the fridge game , as you it can get rather expensive as he has no exprience,
any information very welcomed