PDA

View Full Version : 448 Head Cooling

keepitcool
28-05-2008, 09:14 PM
What do I need to know about going from water to NH3 internally. I thought all the valve plates and springs were the same for either. I have been told they are not. This is news to me. Any thoughts?

bruceboldy
29-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Your question on a vilter is not logical as stated. I assume you mean the head cooling going from a water cooled head to a refrigerant cooled head.
If that is the case, the internal compressor valves and springs will not be affected by the change.

Hope this is helpful.

Bruceboldy

keepitcool
29-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I did leave out that it was for head cooling...except in the title. my apologies.

US Iceman
06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
The valve plates and springs have NOTHING to do with head or oil cooling. On the heads you can use either water or DX refrigerant.

On the oil coolers I think it takes a special oil cooler, which is relatively simple to change if need be.

keepitcool
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you for the feed back. I didn't think the internal parts were different. When I do this type of conversion I alway install a new oil cooler anyway due to scale buildup that I will never see again with refrigerant oil cooling.

US Iceman
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Just remember that everytime you do this, it reduces the net capacity of the compressor. Something has to compress the ammonia vapor generated by the DX cooling.

It's not free....but it is easier to keep clean!