PDA

View Full Version : Help - Looking to re-train

chrismcg30
13-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi there,
I am looking for some information on how to start training to become an Air Con Engineer. I am 35 and would like to train by distance learning. I have a decent sales job with a vodka company and a big mortgage so an apprenticeship is out (and i'm also too old) but really would like a change. I plan to move to Australia in 5 years but would like to start the ball rolling on a new career. I have looked at SVQ (i am in scotland) but it seems to be for on the job assesments only. If anyone has any advice i would be really grateful.

The Viking
13-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Sorry,
You probably don't want to hear this...

But there really aren't any short cuts...

If you want to earn decent money in this game you have to be a decent engineer and to become a decent engineer you have to do decent training.

If you only are interested in the qualification and not the knowledge then there are plenty of places on the web where you are able to buy qualifications.
(but then again, why stop as a trade person)

BTW, if I understood it correctly, the Aussie's rules for immigration has changed and now incorporates a trade test, you would have to show them that you do have the knowledge your paperwork says that you got.

chrismcg30
13-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi viking, thanks for the reponse, I think possibly you picked me up wrong! I want to start at the begining and learn a new trade, I want quality training and no short cuts but financially I will have to work in the interim in my current job, i just don't know where to start i.e. training courses, btec etc.

The Viking
13-05-2008, 10:34 PM
The problem with all trades is that you can't learn it in a classroom, you have to be out there with experienced engineers and learn hands on, that means you will have to start out on a low salary. (as no company I know of would pay an apprentice the same as an experienced engineer).

Also have a look at this other thread HERE (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13083)