PDA

View Full Version : New look

absolute-zero
10-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Although I like the new look here, it seems there may have been a large trade off; as the site seems to have slowed down to snail speed on page uploads. I thought maybe my Hi-Speed Roadrunner slowed down or had a problem, but this is the only page im having this issue with.Perhaps, the members here couldould make a donation to RE to extend the bandwidth rates.Just my opinoin.Regards A-Z

Lowrider
10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Slow?

It has never been this fast for me!

And the new look is very, very nice!

absolute-zero
10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Its probably just me, it was just an opinion I made based on my observation. However, you know what they say about opinions; opinions are like a$$-h0les, everyone has one.A-Z

Karl Hofmann
10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Same here.. Its the fastest that it's ever been, plus the posts that I reply to no longer disappear off the "Todays posts" bit

Perhaps the pipes that link the US to the rest of the world have sprung a leak... ;)

Lowrider
10-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I did went out fishing last night and pulled up a cable from the north sea with a lot of wires, didn't think too much about it so I just trew it back in!:D

absolute-zero
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, How long do you typically wait for a page to completely up-load. I am see nearly 30+ seconds.

Lowrider
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
about a second or 2 deponding on the amount of posts in the page!

absolute-zero
10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
about a second or 2 deponding on the amount of posts in the page!

Yep 2 seconds, thats pretty quick. Before the change was made or the new look, I was getting around 15 seconds between page uploads. It is taking much longer now. Perhaps, it may be a continent thing in which the data transfer is slower. I wonder if any other members here from North America are expeirencing slower upload speed, or if it is just me?

Will
10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Works just groovy for me man. :cool:

absolute-zero
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Works just groovy for me man. :cool:

Are you one of those guys whom, went to Woodstock, wore tie-dye shirts, and traveled with the Greatful Dead, or maybe watch to much Brady Bunch? Oh, before I forget, what is your average page download times here on RE?

Will
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, before I forget

Approximately 1.87 seconds.

Karl Hofmann
11-05-2008, 03:09 AM
I did went out fishing last night and pulled up a cable from the north sea with a lot of wires, didn't think too much about it so I just trew it back in!:D

Oh Lowrider!! You are a silly one... THAT was the temporary trailing lead that America was plugged in to... They won't be happy :D

Chunk
11-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Hi A-Z

For me personally,it is slowish first thing in the morning(uk time)I have noticed that the speeds have picked up in page loading times since the upgrade.

:cool:<i dont like the look of this one much,i`m sure he is causing all your problems.

abbsnowman
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
AZ, this site is slow for me too but it is a bit better than it was.
As far as the new look? Well, ya, not so much. I guess it's an aquired taste.
Oh and maybe the cable you pulled out fishing was a lock-ness weiner? We don't need your power. Trust me on that one!

Lowrider
11-05-2008, 11:04 AM
We don't need your power. Trust me on that one!

I know, but we need more power over here and cheaper!

absolute-zero
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I know, but we need more power over here and cheaper!

Today the page upload speed is much quicker. It is now taking less than 5 seconds. And this is definetly much faster than I ever remember it to be.Kudos to RE.. good job.

absolute-zero
11-05-2008, 05:22 PM
AZ, this site is slow for me too but it is a bit better than it was.
As far as the new look? Well, ya, not so much. I guess it's an aquired taste.
Oh and maybe the cable you pulled out fishing was a lock-ness weiner? We don't need your power. Trust me on that one!

Is there an energy crisis in the European region? Speaking of energy, I was watching Discovery channel last nite and caught a show called Green Vs. Machine. It was a great show.

Karl Hofmann
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Not a crisis as such but the prices have gone up considerably over the last few months.. Not helped in the UK by the government finding every excuse that they can to tax the working man yet letting a lot of very well off folk from paying their share... The motorist is being hit very hard in particular

absolute-zero
11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Not a crisis as such but the prices have gone up considerably over the last few months.. Not helped in the UK by the government finding every excuse that they can to tax the working man yet letting a lot of very well off folk from paying their share... The motorist is being hit very hard in particular

I hear ya bro, Its a political topic that can cause much Monarchy, I mean Anarchy.

abbsnowman
11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
What are you guys paying for gas in the UK?
We are about $1.30 per Lt

Brian_UK
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Abbs, in CAD we're paying about $2.14 per lt for gas and $2.35 for diesel.

It hurts...

absolute-zero
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Abbs, in CAD we're paying about $2.14 per lt for gas and $2.35 for diesel.

It hurts...

Holy moly Brian!!!! Are you serious? Wow my heart bleeds for you dudes. Are they working any other alternative fuels for you there such as; ethenol or similiar that can be grown?

nike123
11-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Check this comparison::eek:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/04/european-gas-prices-and-you-thought-350.html (http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/)

Brian_UK
12-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Holy moly Brian!!!! Are you serious? Wow my heart bleeds for you dudes. Are they working any other alternative fuels for you there such as; ethenol or similiar that can be grown?There is a small amount of bio-ethanol and a minute amount of bio-diesel available.

Some small traders are converting old cooking oils etc into bio-diesel but the vehicle manufacturers' aren't being overly helpful in confirming whether their engines will run on the alternative fuels.

From what I've read, which isn't a lot, some of the bio-fuels being grown around the world are causing more damage than using the original oil as a base fuel.

monkey spanners
12-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Filled up on friday morning at the motorway services as it was the only place open at 5am and paid 128.9p a litre for diesel.... where will it end?

That bio diesel is no good in commonrail diesels, beggers up the pump and injectors so i've heard. You need an old mechanical injection engine for running on bio diesel or cooking oil.

Brian_UK
12-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Although the company pays for my fuel with these prices you do feel that money can be saved.

I decided that I really ought to drive at the speed limit that my van is rated at. Doing so improved the fuel consumption by 15%.

Not a lot maybe but it works out at a saving of +/- £13 per tankful.

Maybe the Christmas bonus will re-appear but I'm not holding my breath...

abbsnowman
12-05-2008, 02:23 AM
Wow! Are wages climbing too? I have been raising my rates and fuel charges and people complain but because they are in the trucking biz, how can they complain. I am just trying to keep up. It affects everything. Kinda scary when it's world wide!

absolute-zero
12-05-2008, 03:44 AM
There is a small amount of bio-ethanol and a minute amount of bio-diesel available.

Some small traders are converting old cooking oils etc into bio-diesel but the vehicle manufacturers' aren't being overly helpful in confirming whether their engines will run on the alternative fuels.

From what I've read, which isn't a lot, some of the bio-fuels being grown around the world are causing more damage than using the original oil as a base fuel.

Yes Bio diesel fuel is a struggle here as well, It has caused many fuel sytem failures and gums up the internal combustion chambers, valves, pistons, compression piston rings, and exhaust ports. However engine manfacturers are saying that it is ok to use as long as the bio diesel fuel is not more than 5-6%. The big problem here is the fuel suppliers here all cut there fuel or mix it differntly. Its a tough science to overcome and in my opinion, all fuel should have the same process for refining and cutting these alternative fuels. Right now we have ethenol fuel in our market. It is being produced as a bi-product of field corn, however the engine has to be set up to run the stuff properly. Most cars today that come off a dealer lot will be able to run standard gasoline or ethanol alternative. Ethanol also has proven to be cooler burning fuel as well. The technolgy is still too new and i think the jury will be out on this issue for a while longer.

Brian_UK
12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Trouble is now though that as we increase the corn output for fuel usage the world is now getting short of food.

I think I'd rather walk to work and eat than drive and starve, but then I am a bit fussy ....

SteinarN
12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Here in Norway I pay £1.2/$2.4 pr litre for diesel. The WAT is 25% which I get refunded though. My MB Sprinter 316 -2003 is loaded to max weight, 3.5 ton. I mostly drive extra urban. I manage to get 8.5 litre/100km (27.7 mpg) when driving between 80 to 85 km/h in summer. If I drive very slowly I can acheive 8 l/100km (29.5 mpg) or slightly less. I once got 7.3 l/100km (32 mpg). I drive slower now than I did a couple years ago. 10% increase in speed causes roughly 10% increase in fuel consumption also. If the gear ratios were higher I could probably reduced fuel consumption by 5 to 10%.

Anyone know of a rear axle with a differential gear ratio less than 3.78?

absolute-zero
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Trouble is now though that as we increase the corn output for fuel usage the world is now getting short of food.

I think I'd rather walk to work and eat than drive and starve, but then I am a bit fussy ....

Perhaps maybe its just part of your world a food shortage may occur. Here in the US the government actually pays the farmers to not plant the corn. I guess they think you can have too much of it in some situations. Is agricultural and crop farming not a big thing in Europe? Or is the European area more of a idustrialized society?

Brian_UK
12-05-2008, 11:10 PM
No the EU (European Union) have a CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) which as far as I know means that everybody pays an over sized tax to the EU who then give most of the money to the French farmers who then go on expensive holidays.

Yes our farmers are paid not to grow something or paid to grow something, it all depends on what the CAP says for any season.

Most of the UK cereal demand is met from overseas I think.

There is a huge mountain of the stuff kept in the EU to maintain high market prices. They will not sell it cheaply to the third world because it upsets the farmers prices.

[/end rant]

nike123
12-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Tonight (in about 1 hour) we have 4% rise in Diesel gas price. And, we have every 2 weeks new prices.
With this speed up, in half year, we are going to have double price on gas!
I expect, new BIG war in about 5-10 years!
But, that is politics!:off topic:

Brian_UK
12-05-2008, 11:15 PM
:off topic: No, we can't afford a war :o, all we can do is send our call centre staff to annoy your call centre staff :p

The first one to empty the coffee machine wins :D

SKOOBY
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Theres no big corn mounting now in Europe.They have the lowest stocks for fifty years.Wheat will fetch this year £180 per ton.
Everything is in short supply as China is purchasing in high demand as there country grows.Batterys increase in price monthly also copper and other raw materials.

Chunk
12-05-2008, 11:31 PM
And Sainsburys are talking about putting a cup of coffee up in price from 20 pence to 22 pence in their staff restaurants.

£1.32.9p i paid for a litre of diesel this morning.

What we need is a strike.

nike123
13-05-2008, 12:14 AM
And Sainsburys are talking about putting a cup of coffee up in price from 20 pence to 22 pence in their staff restaurants.

£1.32.9p i paid for a litre of diesel this morning.

What we need is a strike.
:off topic::off topic::eek:

absolute-zero
13-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I also wanted to add something else to the new look or change, my editing features Do not work at all, I cant use the smileys, nothing seems to be paragraghing but rather compling run on sentences. I feel like a sentence run on retard. If there is a way to fix the editing features for posting, please advise.

nike123
13-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I also wanted to add something else to the new look or change, my editing features Do not work at all, I cant use the smileys, nothing seems to be paragraghing but rather compling run on sentences. I feel like a sentence run on retard. If there is a way to fix the editing features for posting, please advise.

Check this option in User CP!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/2490412218_b0a06a8450_o_d.jpg

absolute-zero
13-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I already tried all three of them. I am using the same internet explorer 7 that I was using before.

nike123
13-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I already tried all three of them. I am using the same internet explorer 7 that I was using before.
Did you hit save changes buton?:D

absolute-zero
13-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Did you hit save changes buton?:D

Of course.. I am in the process of downloading IE 8 hopefully that may resolve the problem. Or maybe I will change my browser all together.

nike123
13-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Of course.. I am in the process of downloading IE 8 hopefully that may resolve the problem. Or maybe I will change my browser all together.

Switch to Firefox and you will be delighted!
Few add-ons like No-script and IE-tab and you are ready to surf like mad!
And, you could load all favorites from IE!

absolute-zero
13-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Switch to Firefox and you will be delighted!
Few add-ons like No-script and IE-tab and you are ready to surf like mad!
And, you could load all favorites from IE!

Already tried it, and struck out with that browser too.

nh3wizard
13-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Thats the answer on all speed issues and site issues, doesnt make sense to me, but what does;)

nike123
13-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Already tried it, and struck out with that browser too.
Do you have any firewall (installed, from OS or maybe from your ISP)? Disable it and try again.
Try to create second account with different user name and password and see if anything happening (use another e-mail to create account).

Lowrider
13-05-2008, 11:21 PM
could also be your connection is at fault.

On the net is a program called wireshark with wich you can scan network connections, wich I use a lot op problems with bacnet. Could be you pc is at fault or the connection from your pc to the internet server. Should you download it send me a capture (pm me fitst for my e-mail) and I'll be able to tell you what the problem could/should be!

An other option to try is locate a speed test on google and do a send/recieve test to see what speed your connection has!