PDA

View Full Version : Thermo KIng CB Max suction accumulator tank cleanning

coldkeeper1
29-04-2008, 03:24 AM
While working as a domestic automotive A/C tech, I always included the removal of as much existing oil as possible prior to the installation of a replacement compressor. Suction accumulators were almost always discarded and replaced as well. Now Iīve been tasked to replace the compressor in this reefer. I would like to empty the large suction accumulator of any contaminated oil, but I donīt see any easy way of effectively performing this crucial step. I donīt believe that nitrogen purging would be effective, and there is no draining valve. Any suggestions on how to attack this problem? Thank you.

absolute-zero
29-04-2008, 04:11 AM
While working as a domestic automotive A/C tech, I always included the removal of as much existing oil as possible prior to the installation of a replacement compressor. Suction accumulators were almost always discarded and replaced as well. Now Iīve been tasked to replace the compressor in this reefer. I would like to empty the large suction accumulator of any contaminated oil, but I donīt see any easy way of effectively performing this crucial step. I donīt believe that nitrogen purging would be effective, and there is no draining valve. Any suggestions on how to attack this problem? Thank you.

Hook the system up to a recover machine set on recycling mode and allow it to run a few hours.

You may will have to remove the drier from the unit, and fabricate a piece of tubing and install in place of the drier while running through this clean up process untill the system is clean.

Reinstall new drier, replace the compreesor once more with the amount you removed.

Evacuate sytem to 500 microns minimal, recharge unit by weight; by adding liguid into the reciever tank. If you cant get the whole charge in through the reciever, finish refrigerant top off by weight through the suction side of the compressor.

If you are working with R-404a you will have to meter the refrigerant in as liquid; vapor chargeing is not optimal for refrigerant blends.

I hope this helps.:D

A-Z

coldkeeper1
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Thnk you very much for your response.

We do have a refrigerant recovery machine in our shop, but I thought it was only designed to recover refrigerant, leaving the oil behind. I always like to blow the system components free of debris and contaminants with nitrogen or dry compressed air, after recovering the refrigerant. I prefer to replace the accumulators, but itīs too expensive in this particular case and there are no spares available right now.

absolute-zero
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Thnk you very much for your response.

We do have a refrigerant recovery machine in our shop, but I thought it was only designed to recover refrigerant, leaving the oil behind. I always like to blow the system components free of debris and contaminants with nitrogen or dry compressed air, after recovering the refrigerant. I prefer to replace the accumulators, but itīs too expensive in this particular case and there are no spares available right now.

You can purge the system with dry nitrogen; however, using compressed air is not the recommened procedure.

Some HFC refrigerants can be explosive, if compressed air is mixed with them.

In my opinion, and as a recommened procedure by Thermo King, you should use only dry nitrogen to purge the system, in all efforts to clean it up.

I have cleaned up many systems without replacing the accumulator, or any other expensive major component, by following the procedure I had given you in prior post.

Regards Shawn

CharlieChiller
02-05-2008, 12:11 AM
hi there could you possibly send me some information or technical information regarding servicing of thermo king units i think the one i have to do is a thermo guard running on 404a im doing it for a friend and need some information deperatley..

please help if you can
my emails is vacc_baggins@blueyonder.co.uk

cheers charlie

abbsnowman
02-05-2008, 05:40 AM
hi there could you possibly send me some information or technical information regarding servicing of thermo king units i think the one i have to do is a thermo guard running on 404a im doing it for a friend and need some information deperatley..

please help if you can
my emails is vacc_baggins@blueyonder.co.uk

cheers charlie
I can help you with what ever you need. Just email me with your unit model number and I will send you what you need.
mark@futureclimates.ca