PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Dissertation

RyanCEng
17-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Firstly I would like to apologise for the multiple posts but I was unsure as to which room would be the most appropriate to post in about dissertations....

I am currently studying chemical engineering at strathclyde university in glasgow and have been assigned the topic of refrigeration. If anyone could send me any information that they feel could be relevant to myself or post up some links then it would be much appreciated. I am unsure as how to approach the task as there is no direct question, I feel that a basic review of why refrigeration is needed, then maybe the different ways of refrigerating and then possiblities for the future. If anyone has any ideas as to what they feel the best way to go about it would be then it would again be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

Ryan

paul_h
17-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Whats your current level of knowledge in refrigeration?
I tend to tell people to start with roy dossat "principles of refrigeration" as a book that's available wordwide.
If you are just interested in a link to it, I'm sure something will come up with a search of the forums, if not there might be something almost as good to suit your purpose of a general introduction

RyanCEng
17-04-2008, 08:15 PM
To be honest my knowledge is pretty basic. I am unsure as how to approach it as I have never done anything about it before in my university life. Any information that anyone could shed to help me along would be much appreciated

US Iceman
17-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Chemical engineering is a fairly broad field of which refrigeration could be a subset.

Can you provide a more narrow scope of what a dissertation on refrigeration might consist of? By this I mean are you wanting to a broad paper on various types of refrigeration systems, or more specifically a certain type of refrigeration system used for a specific task?

I'm not quite sure what to tell you and what questions I should be asking of you without a better focus of your requirements.

RyanCEng
17-04-2008, 08:34 PM
To be honest I have never really covered refrigeration really within the course except the basic principles covered in thermodynamics. I feel that the best way to go about it would be to provide a broad scope and emerging technologies within idustry. Also to look at the legal aspects due to Carbon emission at so forth. Any views that you have would be much welcomed. Thanks

frank
17-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Perhaps you could spend a few hours reading past posts here on the forum, maybe using the search function, and then come back and pose a few questions regarding the posts or contents of said posts.

If you search in the members section for 'Argus' and then view all posts by Argus, you will see that his posts are very informative about current and proposed legislation.

Similarly, there are other members who have contributed lots of technical information, based on their training and experience.

As with all studying, one has to read lots of books/soures of information to be able to gain an understanding of the subject. Asking the members to bypass this learning curve for you will not broaden your knowledge.

We are quite helpful on here but you do have to have some input yourself.

RyanCEng
18-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Perhaps you could spend a few hours reading past posts here on the forum, maybe using the search function, and then come back and pose a few questions regarding the posts or contents of said posts.

If you search in the members section for 'Argus' and then view all posts by Argus, you will see that his posts are very informative about current and proposed legislation.

Similarly, there are other members who have contributed lots of technical information, based on their training and experience.

As with all studying, one has to read lots of books/soures of information to be able to gain an understanding of the subject. Asking the members to bypass this learning curve for you will not broaden your knowledge.

We are quite helpful on here but you do have to have some input yourself.

I never asked for people to do it for me. I thought that asking for a professional input on a subject that I have no knowledge in would be a good point to start on.

smpsmp45
26-04-2008, 06:35 AM
I think you can always consider the New trends in Refrigeration & ozone factor in the topic. That shall be a definitely a new topic, that to go in for basic principals etc

US Iceman
26-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Ryan,

I have been giving your request some thought and have this to offer. Perhaps you could start off with what mechanical refrigeration is defined as. Then proceed into what it is used for. Then you could list some of the common refrigerants utilized over the years with pros and cons for each.

Over the years some of the refrigerants have lost favor for one reason or another. In the current industry there many choices; natural refrigerants like anhydrous ammonia & CO2. Other refrigerants fall into categories of hydrocarbons or what I typically call the *****s. ***** is actually a trademark of the Dupont Co, but I use it generically to indicate the more commercial refrigerants.

Of these commercial refrigerants you have azeotropes and zeotropes. Some have better features than others.

Then you could conclude with some thoughts on the impact of utilizing any of these refrigerants from an environmental perspective. Carbon footprints, global warming potential, safety, etc.

That should take at least a few pages of text and charts to get you through this. And an excuse to have a good brew while studying.;)

Josip
26-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi, RyanCEng :)

Firstly I would like to apologise for the multiple posts but I was unsure as to which room would be the most appropriate to post in about dissertations....

I am currently studying chemical engineering at strathclyde university in glasgow and have been assigned the topic of refrigeration. If anyone could send me any information that they feel could be relevant to myself or post up some links then it would be much appreciated. I am unsure as how to approach the task as there is no direct question, I feel that a basic review of why refrigeration is needed, then maybe the different ways of refrigerating and then possiblities for the future. If anyone has any ideas as to what they feel the best way to go about it would be then it would again be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

Ryan

.... as you said you are beginner and maybe is not bad to start here... MAKING MODERN LIVING POSSIBLE

http://www.danfoss.com/NR/rdonlyres/F35695FE-F4A2-40B9-847F-E81E20A5EEA8/0/PF000F102.pdf

....this is only a basic introduction...page 5, with some tips and you should make some research for each application ... it is easy to find it on Google;)

I believe you can use it, good luck...

Best regards, Josip :)

RyanCEng
26-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you all for your help :)

monkey spanners
26-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Ryan,

Interestingly you can use lasers to cool atoms, and i believe lasers generate thier light through gems such as rubys, not to sure that kryptonite comes into it though:rolleyes:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/bec/lascool1.html

Jon