PDA

View Full Version : Rip Off Britain

frank
28-03-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/martin_samuel/article3634764.ece

captincodeye
28-03-2008, 03:19 PM
This is so true thank you for Enlightning me Frank, i never really though about it b4

paul_h
28-03-2008, 03:27 PM
more like rip off london hey?
It's the same as every capital city in the world ;)
If fact you guys have got it good, here in WA the rip off capital is the only town in sight. At least you guys can move 50km and have a competely new city to work in :)
Here there's one capital city and nothing but mining camps! Except for further south, but then we get english weather and it's not hot enough to get any work! ;)

Sorry to people there that have to work in london, even my little town is a big enough pain to find somewhere to park my van.
Like capitals everywhere, it was put there to cater for the white collar workers in big business and priced accordly, but labourers, tradesmen and blue collar workers have to get in there to work and supply a service somehow, but there's little financial incentive to do that.
My opinion is if they are there to earn big money, charge them big money to make it worth your while to bother with london. There's no point in putting up with london costs if you are getting paid the same to work in the midlands.
At least we as refrig techs have a service to sell, unlike people like say the train driver who earnt stuff all but had to live near london (I remember that strike)
It's unsustainable, why bother if you aren't earning enough to pay their fees, food or to live nearby? Sooner of later when people who supply services refuse to deal with the high prices for similar wages elsewhere they will have to pay more to even bother with capital cities. Make up your own congestion charge to bill to customers!
edit: on a personal note I had to pay au$640k for a house close to the CBD that was only worth $300K 8 years ago, such is the boom here. Of course I couldn't afford that myself, my brother went halves and I have to pay him $100 per week on top of the $700pw mortgage. 9% interest rates are not fun, and the reserve bank of australia is raising all the time to curb spending.
No, I don't go out much, maybe out to the pub once a fortnight. Franks avatars annoy me :)

The MG Pony
28-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Chronic of all guberdents rip ya off blind and pocket it, wouldn't be so bad if we actually got some thing out of it but nope.

Shoot em all and replace them with real tradesmen who know how life works instead a bunch of coddled lawyers.

yinmorrison
02-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe we should all read The Times and get a grip of what is going on out there, the Politicians need to be exposed for what they are . They are actually worse than the Cowboys and actually fuel a resentment due to this as they steal more from us than we do from the Gov and even ourselves.:mad:

norfolkboy
02-04-2008, 12:57 AM
thanks brian,
ive just written to the tax man over cis deductions, worked out who hasnt paid me, and just given up reading about being a licenced waste carrier, and how much i need to pay for the privelege.
ive read the times and now feel over the moon!! Ha Ha.