PDA

View Full Version : phile positions

get the gauges
09-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I sometimes come across some differing phile positions for expansion valves. I normally put my phile at half past three on my pipe, but every now i then i come across an install which has the phile fitted at the 12 o'clock position on top of the pipe. Can anyone throw some light on the subject ?

:confused:

The Viking
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Have a look at Danfoss' TEV manual, on page 6 you will get the answer to your question.
(anywhere between 1 and 4 o'clock, depending on installation)

The manual is available for download from my website...

The MG Pony
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
now how about the cappillery going back to the valve? eh? I all ways place it so its the highest point!

What you guys figure on that? Pointles or good mesure?

FYI Here they teach the same as danfoss any where between 11 to 4 ie the upper half of the pipe is fair game, the side is red zone, and on the bottom you simply fail! :)

cooldude
09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
i was tought to put the phile at 10 o clock or 2 o clock

chillyblue
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It's to do with the pipe size used, the bigger the pipe diameter the lower to the bottom of the pipe you place the phial (4 o clock), the smaller the pipe the higher you put it (11 oclock)
With a bigger diameter pipe e.g. 1" 5/8 you would need a hell of alot of liquid in the pipe for the phial to sense it at the top,
With a small diameter pipe e.g. 3/8" if the phial was mounted at the bottom of the pipe any liquid that entered the pipe would instanly sensed.

Bad positioning of the phial will result in hunting or starvation of the evaporator and inconsistant control of the TEV

CB

get the gauges
10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I go for 4 o'clock as most jobs i do are 7/8" up.

pendlesteve
14-02-2008, 02:51 PM
TEV manufacturers provide instructions in the box or printed on the box. Always follow these for the correct position and then set the superheat.

get the gauges
17-02-2008, 10:46 PM
thanks.....