PDA

View Full Version : Walkin Compressor problem

frostiepaws
16-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi,
I have been working on a walk in refrigeration unit.
Trouble is, it starts up runs for 15 sec, shuts down and in one minute restarts, again for only 15 sec.

I changed the start capacitor and the run capacitor, same thing still happens.

What next?

nike123
16-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi,
Trouble is, it starts up runs for 15 sec, shuts down and in one minute restarts, again for only 15 sec.

What next?
Measure start and run current then compare it with rated values.

tonyelian
16-01-2008, 07:50 PM
hi frostie
you can check the relay.is your comp.new i meant that you did the wiring or its already done
the ends of the relay 1&2are n/c&should open when the comp starts.
you can start it directly.i mean you can turn the power on &remove one side of start cap.
check the amp if it still high say bye for the compressor

thebigcheese
16-01-2008, 08:03 PM
dont mean to afend u in anyway but is it lp cutout?

refaircon
16-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi,

What next?

why change the capacitors??
standing pressure?
when it runs, whats the pressure
what safety devices does it have
bit more info needed please

nike123
16-01-2008, 08:20 PM
For whatever reason the guy is out of his depth. Any advice is dangerous and liable to be misinterpreted.

This forum should seriously look at itself sometimes and the willingness of some in their eagerness to impress(?) to give out advice willy nilly to those who are a potential risk to themselves...

With the commitment to increase the level of skills engineers must have perhaps there should be a professional forum like hvac-talk so we do not encourage amateurs to DIY and potentially break the law.

Did you noticed the name of this forum? Does that name suggests that it is for amateurs and DIY-ers?;)

thebigcheese
16-01-2008, 08:59 PM
listen whos tryin to impress??? was only tryin to give someone abit of advice.... get off ur high horse

thebigcheese
16-01-2008, 11:00 PM
i have no problem and would agree in what you are stating, i do however have a problem with you intending that i was trying to impress someone by trying to give an opinion...

knight rider
16-01-2008, 11:15 PM
oh dear , looks like another threads gone sour :(

Brian_UK
16-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Gentlemen, relax.

We each have our failings and none is perfect. People across the world will ask for advice wherever they can get it, and nowadays it seems to be on the web.

dont mean to afend u in anyway but is it lp cutout?This type of shorthand English is difficult for anyone to read easily and also understand. Foreign members will possibly miss the meaning of it altogether. The slightly sarcastic tone does not help either.

For whatever reason the guy is out of his depth. Any advice is dangerous and liable to be misinterpreted.Yes, the man is out of his depth, but his profile states that he is a "Repair Technician" so he has some practical knowledge. The fact that he has asked the question shows that he needs and wants help.

Non-dangerous advice would simply be to say "Call an expert/refrigeration tech" or similar.

This forum should seriously look at itself sometimes and the willingness of some in their eagerness to impress(?) to give out advice willy nilly to those who are a potential risk to themselves...Possibly, but to be a censor of the worlds' knowledge base is a bit tricky.

If you don't feel that you should assist someone who is asking a question then simply do not answer, it isn't difficult.

If, however, you feel that a dangerous situation may arise then why not state your case so that the poster is made aware of the potential dangers?

With the commitment to increase the level of skills engineers must have perhaps there should be a professional forum like hvac-talk so we do not encourage amateurs to DIY and potentially break the law.Amateurs will always break the law of the land because that is human nature.

I don't think that the forum members actively encourage anyone to break the law and if you want to only be involved in "Professional" forums then I suggest that you join some of the Society / Association forums which are normally closed to the public.

listen whos tryin to impress??? was only tryin to give someone abit of advice.... get off ur high horseRelax, once again shorthand and jumping down someones throat isn't worth the effort.

i have no problem and would agree in what you are stating, i do however have a problem with you intending that i was trying to impress someone by trying to give an opinion... prickPersonal comment sign-offs really aren't welcomed here, thank you.

Can we get back to the original question asked now please?

The Viking
17-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Frostie,

Apologies, we seem to have gotten a bit of track here.
(Normally we are quite a friendly bunch)

I am the guy who normally tells people to get a professional in.

But considering the replies you got so far I will make an exception.

If the compressor starts and turns, even if it's just for 15 sec. you are probably looking at a control problem.

Check if you have voltage (and neutral) going to the compressor when it stopped.
If the voltage disappears, the cut out is happening further up the line.
Normally you would see the power supply entering the unit and go via a HP (high pressure) cut out, a LP (low pressure) cut out and maybe thermal overloads, clixons and thermostats.
Follow the power supply and find out what's cutting it out.
But when you find the offending item, don't assume that it's faulty. You are probably looking at a problem with the refrigerant circuit and a protective device is operating as it should.

NOTE: These systems are able to damage both humans and the environment, don't try and work on them without respect and knowledge.