PDA

View Full Version : Thermo King nwd 30

mikejoe300
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello All:

We have one customer left who will not give up on his nwd 30 units. Insists these were the best ever built etc. He gets between 45,000 to 50,000 hours between rebuilds. Every 10 years or so we rebuild his units.

Two questions:

1. Any place better for parts instead of TK?

2. Anyone have any rebuildable units?

Located in Central NY State.

Thank you

Mike

absolute-zero
11-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Hello All:

We have one customer left who will not give up on his nwd 30 units. Insists these were the best ever built etc. He gets between 45,000 to 50,000 hours between rebuilds. Every 10 years or so we rebuild his units.

Two questions:

Thank you

Mike

Hi Mike,
You can get after market TK parts from Thermo Engine Supply, Parts Plus, and Cool Parts. I also know tk locally in that area that has old used SNWD parts, let me know if you want there contact info.

They also have alot of used equipment some of it is ok and some of it is parts only. If your from the CNY area and wanted to schedule a visit to check out inventory.

I also have some other contacts in Canada that may have alot of what you are looking for as well, in case the other doesnt have.

There are many options to your disposal my friend. Let me know.

Regards A-Z

absolute-zero
18-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Hmmmmmm, where are you from Mike? Are you from Central New York?

I know some Mikes in transport refrigeration in my area, I wonder if I know you.

I see you joined recently Jan 2008. and only have one post. are you testing the waters here, to see what fish bites?:eek:

Regards,
A-Z (AKA) Shawn:D

thermo prince
18-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi guys - if NWD series then they had the 'grey' OM 636 Mercedes 4cyl diesel engine, if Super NWD (SNWD) then they had the progression to Isuzu 4cyl C201 motor which came around ~1979.
There are many (redundant) parts sitting with AP +ANZ dealers for those and no doubt firesale prices pertain.

Send me PM if anyone REALLY stuck for bits, I can put you in touch.
And Chilln ...NO, this is not my personal advertising.
Helping answer what appears a bona-fide query, thank you!

best regards
T-P

mikejoe300
20-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmmmmm, where are you from Mike? Are you from Central New York?

I know some Mikes in transport refrigeration in my area, I wonder if I know you.

I see you joined recently Jan 2008. and only have one post. are you testing the waters here, to see what fish bites?:eek:

Regards,
A-Z (AKA) Shawn:D

Shawn hope to hear from you soon.

mikejoe300
20-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi Mike,
You can get after market TK parts from Thermo Engine Supply, Parts Plus, and Cool Parts. I also know tk locally in that area that has old used SNWD parts, let me know if you want there contact info.

They also have alot of used equipment some of it is ok and some of it is parts only. If your from the CNY area and wanted to schedule a visit to check out inventory.

I also have some other contacts in Canada that may have alot of what you are looking for as well, in case the other doesnt have.

There are many options to your disposal my friend. Let me know.

Regards A-Z

I called all the suppliers you mentioned and struck out - no parts available. Would like to hear back from you on what you have available.

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I called all the suppliers you mentioned and struck out - no parts available. Would like to hear back from you on what you have available.

Hi Mike,
I just sent you an email. good used NWD parts will be difficult to find considering the vintage of unit. I do have some guys in ontario canada that i also deal with and they have a great big salvage yard with unbelieavable amounts of vintage equipment.

Also T-P made a post here where you can get NWD equipment and parts as well.

I still remain curiouse of who you are considering we are neighbors, I do not know of any fleets in my area that still run NWDs. Except forr the guys at rapasodys possibly.

C-mon the suspence is killing me.

A-Z

absolute-zero
20-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Mike,

I have located and dusted off my old vintage NWD, SNWD and Mercedes OM636 engine parts manuals.

Just kidding I have TK electronic parts catalog with all the units listed above.

Let me know what you need, and I will see what I can do.

mikejoe300
28-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Mike,
I just sent you an email. good used NWD parts will be difficult to find considering the vintage of unit. I do have some guys in ontario canada that i also deal with and they have a great big salvage yard with unbelieavable amounts of vintage equipment.

Also T-P made a post here where you can get NWD equipment and parts as well.

I still remain curiouse of who you are considering we are neighbors, I do not know of any fleets in my area that still run NWDs. Except forr the guys at rapasodys possibly.

C-mon the suspence is killing me.

A-Z

The units are stationary and used in a private farming operation. They are used to keep fruits and produce from spoiling. We keep our customers information confidential. Thank you for your help I look forward to getting the contact information of the parts suppliers.

mikejoe300
28-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi guys - if NWD series then they had the 'grey' OM 636 Mercedes 4cyl diesel engine, if Super NWD (SNWD) then they had the progression to Isuzu 4cyl C201 motor which came around ~1979.
There are many (redundant) parts sitting with AP +ANZ dealers for those and no doubt firesale prices pertain.

Send me PM if anyone REALLY stuck for bits, I can put you in touch.
And Chilln ...NO, this is not my personal advertising.
Helping answer what appears a bona-fide query, thank you!

best regards
T-P

I look forward to hearing from you on parts you have available.:)

Parts Depot
31-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Can you provide a list with the part numbers you are looking for, I may be able to help.

absolute-zero
31-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Can you provide a list with the part numbers you are looking for, I may be able to help.

Parts Depot,

Good luck with this. I have exchanged emails and messges and in hopes to be able to help, but was not able.:(

Parts Depot
01-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Well, I know of an inventory of old Mercedes parts with TK cross references, (if they didn't scrap them by now...)I don't have any of these parts books, but someone mentioned these units had Mercedes engines?

absolute-zero
01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Well, I know of an inventory of old Mercedes parts with TK cross references, (if they didn't scrap them by now...)I don't have any of these parts books, but someone mentioned these units had Mercedes engines?

Well you might want to place that phone call to your source and verify, usually mikejoe guy doesnt come back to check up for a week. perhaps he will be here on Sunday. I am sure if you have mercedes engines he will be interested.

PS sorry mike if i may seem like im speaking for you, I just know what you are looking for and am trying to help, not allowing the opportunity to slip away.

o5g
23-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Hello All:

Two questions:

Thank you

Mike

He is right they were the best units T/K every built.

Eoin
25-03-2008, 03:15 PM
If you can let me know what part numbers or descriptions you need, I will check our inventory and let you know if we have anything

Fireblade02
25-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi mikejoe, do u still need parts? we are still throwing out all old parts before LND one. there are many electricity parts, air cleaner, hoses....
if u need gimme a email
nice greets from swiss :-)

Fireblade02
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
now its too late - all has gone to thr the press with a blooding heart. most parts were packed in the yellow/ black case. undisclosed:-(

abbsnowman
03-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Hello All:

Two questions:

Thank you

Mike
I have 2. I could see what it would take to get them off the trailers but I am in Western Canada.

Dan Cross
02-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I have 3 good running units NWD30 super 5106 . contact me at 575 461 8487

dcshop
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Hello All:

Two questions:

Thank you

Mike

I have a big stash of NWD parts, I will look and see if I have either engine rebuild kits left and get back with you. I have 2 customers with these units in KS. I talked 1 into going to a Super II SB190 a few months ago. Again I will get back with you

install monkey
02-09-2011, 09:53 PM
i think his last customer may have died as it was posted 2008!!! keeping the thread alive!!

chillerman2006
02-09-2011, 10:03 PM
i think his last customer may have died as it was posted 2008!!! keeping the thread alive!!

NWD's are a bit past it to say the least...not really worth messing with unless its just small serviceable parts..like throwing good money after bad...trailor units do not have antique value's ;)

charlie patt
04-09-2011, 08:06 PM
i no it was a old post but it it only me that yearns for the breakdowns like we used to do on these? no micros no pcbs, 12 oclock at night with a fried or broken switches? no problem run in a wire and fuse its a runner.water pump shatterd, fill it up with water will run for 3 hrs and no head gasket problems, if you could master the drive belts mainly on the 50s you had very few problems, yes the comp was snug on a ladder but what aint, the throttle valve ball joint wore but these babies done the hrs. whenever we used to go to these you had a 99 percentchance it was leaving fixed or temp repaired but no transhipping yes i agree with emmisions and noise and fuel there day had come but what a unit for its age on a recent visit to another continent they still going strong. spoke to a english speaking transport guy there about them and they had just had two smx units and he could not keep them out the workshop we had a good chat but the devonshire to south african translation was a little interesting but we had the same view the early ones are still worth there salt

tony2009
05-09-2011, 05:07 AM
These units were current "state of the art" when I started and remember them well.
The OM636 may certainly be a stumbling block, but most other parts should be available in one form or other.
Could always consider an upgrade to the C201 engine if parts get too hard to find?

chillerman2006
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM
These units were current "state of the art" when I started and remember them well.
The OM636 may certainly be a stumbling block, but most other parts should be available in one form or other.
Could always consider an upgrade to the C201 engine if parts get too hard to find?

Yeah agree with you Tony

its just someone above dug this post out the archives and original post was 2008

As I said ok to replace small serviceable items but not worth doing major over hauls/spending too much money

The wiring for one thing will be rock solid after all this time, most likely cracked/splitting insulation anywhere its got hot and cracking as soon as its moved to do any remedials

I used to see a few of these but my eara was SB's & Pheonix's originally ( then, smx, sl, vector) .... and would still happily work on them now, loads of room once the panels/doors are off, unlike some of the newer all crammed in with a shoe horn

R's chillerman