PDA

View Full Version : On Call and Xmas

yorkytom
06-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Just a quick one, What are the going rates for doing 'on call' over the xmas period. where i work each engineer does one night each, we get very very little if we dont get called out.
New years eve is mine this year! what would you expect?

taz24
06-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Just a quick one, What are the going rates for doing 'on call' over the xmas period. where i work each engineer does one night each, we get very very little if we dont get called out.
New years eve is mine this year! what would you expect?

Last christmas I was on call was about 4 years ago.

We used to get £50 for christmas day, boxing day and new years eve plus over time rate at double time if after 9pm and day off in lieu.

taz

stuartwking
06-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi yorkytom, Im on call for two weeks this festive season right through til the 7th of jan.I dont no if its that good a rate but im happy with it, its 50 pounds a day with min call out of 4 hours per 1st call and all the normal time and a half and double time paid..

borodave1973
08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
We only get £10 a day over christmas £50 would be nice:cool:

evapcoil
10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys
We are on call for four months 24hrs 7 days a week with only an afternoon off for week, and no matter what, at 0730am ,every single morning You must be in the workshop.... This is ship life... Feel lucky to be on call only once in a while..... :-)
Cheers
Cpt Kaos

Grizzly
10-12-2007, 04:14 PM
"OH YES" And pray tell, when you are not on duty you are at home ? Is that correct? And Just how long do you spend on leave.
Not really relevant is it...EVAPCOIL!
Yorytom's point is, Companies can offer what they like nowadays. And the only reason we get what we get. Is because someone historically set the standard. (usually by the larger unionised companies that once were.) Nowadays we are usually kept in the dark as to what companies other than our own get.
"Divide and Conquer" stratagy prevails well in the U.K. Anyways.
I work for 1 of the big boys and we get £10.50 a day. No time off in lue except for those that are on duty on Bank Holiday Days. Even that is not an official agreement but a "local" one.
We all have to book the 3 days off covering the normal working days between Christmas and NewYear. And if your duty day falls on any of these and the non Bank Holiday days- Tough!
You put up with it because all your collegues do the same. But it would be a sweeter pill to swallow if I was getting £50 a day.
Make your own comparison.
Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

marc5180
10-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Our engineers get £15 pounds a day for being on call. We have 21 engineers so each of us does 1 day over Christmas but for the unlucky ones that get to do Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Eve and New Years Day they get paid £30 although no day in lieu:(

stuartwking
11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I feel prity lucky now that i have herd what other companies do..

cooldude
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
well this year it is down to me. my boss is off on his xmas jollies for 2 weeks while im here in the cold on call by myself.he beter be giving me a realy big bonus this year!!

frank
12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
well this year it is down to me. my boss is off on his xmas jollies for 2 weeks while im here in the cold on call by myself.he beter be giving me a realy big bonus this year!!

After last xmas I heard that you owe him loads :)

And what's this about a big Xmas bonus :D I thought you just had one with 4 wheels - and a spare!

Just watch it ratchet back - or else ;)

bernard
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi Guys
We are on call for four months 24hrs 7 days a week with only an afternoon off for week, and no matter what, at 0730am ,every single morning You must be in the workshop.... This is ship life... Feel lucky to be on call only once in a while..... :-)
Cheers
Cpt Kaos

LOL Navy boys:)

Grizzly
12-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Bernard,http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif
A lot of my past and present colleagues are ex Forces or Merchant Marine. Because of the training they make brilliant engineers. I myself am ex R.E.M.E.
And whilst us civilians pale into insignifcance compaired with what you guys do. You know what is expected, when it is expected (within reason) etc. etc. Life is structured and organised. After all you arn't conscripted! And you are all treated the same.
The original point was how to we all compare from company to company. Because unlike you we are all being treated differently.
Therefore if we all compare as to what each other accepts, we are wiser the next time we are asked an opinion.
The purpose of this very forum ( or at least my interpretation of it is) We are all here to help each other. AND NOT have someone sitting on the sideline
sniping. " You don't work as hard as me" etc. etc.
This thread so far has helped me realise that although I may not have a very generous a holiday package it's not an unusual one either.
Therefore it has helped me!
And I hope many others as well.
Grizzly