PDA

View Full Version : Drains Legislation

Mike6994
02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Can anyone tell me the current legislation relating to cold room and ice machine drains??
It used to be they could NOT be directly connected to the drain to avoid contamination in the food space, and as such were routed to a tun dish.
Now a customer tells me they have been instructed to connect directly to the drain which I feel is in-correct.
Can someone point me to the curreny correct legislation???
Thanks Mike6994.

Brian_UK
02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I assume that traps are still being fitted in these drains though?

Mike6994
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes, Traps will be fitted outside the rooms, however spiders, roaches and other vermin can still get into the room cooler drip tray.
Also if the main drainage became blocked, foul water could be pushed into the drip tray, or ice bin therby causing contamination in the food environment.
I know American ice machine manufacturers show the ice machine drain going to an open drain, not mechanically connected.
I need to know if any legislation exists for the UK.

Grizzly
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
On the outside of a chamber chill or frozen. It is best practise to put a vapour seal. To prevent the ingress of warm air / vapour. If you don't heat from the outside will flow into the colder room. (Basic fridge principle - Hot flow to Cold.)
Of all the cold stores I have or do work in some defrost drains are pied into drain downpipes some onto the ground or into guttering etc.
The only common theme is a water seal between the two areas.
Also at -18c all bacteria is inert hence this being the industry standard for frozen goods.
It is my perception that the cold bloodied buigs you mention prefer warm rather than cold and would normally migrate to the warmer areas.
Perhaps some of our collegues on the forum can explain better.
Grizzly.

750 Valve
03-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question but in Australia (in my state anyway) an air gap of 20mm must exist between the tun dish and the drain from the room/cabinet/ice machine to meet codes. In addition a trap should be fitted in the drain line as you know but i don't think this is mandatory