PDA

View Full Version : Oil return PHE

PobodysNerfect
20-01-2003, 08:56 PM
We have some unused R 12 units (compressor / condenser). We need to cool water down. Therefore, I thought that I could change the units to f. example R 413 and buy a plate heat exchanger. Then a friend tells me that I will get a problem with return of oil, as the new refrigerants are not working so well with plate heat exchangers. As my practical experience with these new refrigerants (and *****) is limited, I would like a comment on that.
Is that so? If so, why is that so?
Saludos
Pobody
:confused:

Andy
20-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi,pobodyNerfect:)
could you not pick an easier name to spell:D

I would doubt if you would have oil return problems, provided you use an R12 drop-in.
The reason for poor oil return may be due to retrofits, where the gas was dropped into a pre-existing system. If you TEV and pipework are selected as good design predicts, why would it not work, there is nothing magical about the drop-ins they are just R12 replacements which to all intense purposes work like R12.
PHE to my experience are good at returning oil partially due to the rapid boiling action which ensues in the small heatexchanger internal surface area (relative to say a shell and Tube heat ex)
Regards. Andy.:confused:

PobodysNerfect
21-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Thank you, Andy,
Well, I have asked for a quote from a PHE manufacturer and will se what they come up with.
Thanks again.
P
I shall consider your request:)