Andy,

When I had my business, I used to be around £300 per day for LABOUR. For materials I would mark up at about 30% or so on top of that, plus if there was travel involved I would usually make an allowance for that on top. It is based upon listening to the customers needs by asking the right sort of questions. Start with open type of questions, then probe to develop the previous answers, and never be afraid to close and ask for the business.

The only problem I had was I got quite big probably a little too quickly. In the end I was sub contracting out all my installation work, and running around doing the service work with the other technicians. Plus on top of that, the 24/7 lifestyle didn't really fit around a family that well, especially with young kids never seeing their Dad. The thing I would say is to grow steadily, because one job can finish a small company very quickly. I took on a vast installation 7 VRF systems, plus all the refrigeration cold stores on one contract and I can tell you I certainly had some sleepless nights, so keep it in perspective regardless of how tempting it might be.

Anyway, a little while ago I had an offer I couldn't refuse from a big company, they kept me as the refrigeration supervisor, less hours, better pay, more time at home so life is pretty good at the moment, and besides that anyone who knows me is aware I'm planning on a move to Australia in the next year or two.

I still have all my quote templates, service sheets and just about everything needed to run a business so if you PM me I can send you some things if it helps you out.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
James