Threaded View

Re: High SH no SC, but not short of gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I would tend to question where and how he is measuring subcooling. He should be measuring the liquid line temperature near the outlet of the receiver, not the outlet of the condenser.
    I'm confused with this statement, no one in all my years has ever suggested measuring sub cooling after the reciever, it brings an extra variables into play rather than measuring compressor/condenser dynamics.
    (edit: I'm treading on egg shells here with regards to how all other subcooling threads here have blown up out of proportions though. Can you sum up or link to your reason why now you have decided subcooling should be after a reciever? What about systems that don't have a reciever, are they now so much more different in behaviour and how do they subcool? )
    When testing subcooling, you want to test whether the condenser is up to the job and to test the 'general health' of the system. ie over/under charge, heat rejection and other things that can cause the compressor to draw extra amps.
    Taking subcooling at the reciever ignores all the superheated vapour that may exist between the compressor and reciever. As you know, it's the condensers job to cool the refrigerant from superheated to subcooled. When did this turn into the recievers job? If it's not the recievers job, why measure subcooling after the reciever?
    Any contanimation will be ignored by reciever outlet subcooling as the reciever only draws liquid. What effect would this have when diagnosing refrigerant blends? Also any incondensibles causing high head pressure and compressor amps will not be measured in post reciever subcooling. (I'm aware of the current debates, arguments, I may have misread, but I thought you were arguing the opposite there)
    Last edited by paul_h; 10-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.