We are looking at the defrost system. At this point the guys start the auto defrost cycling when the freezer is started. I believe we could hold off on starting the defrost till middle of the shift. I am trying to convince the company to do this but their argument is that this is how it is supposed to run. My argument is that if that was the case than why bother having the auto defrost cycle on a seperate start? It is a big waste of energy to start defrosting too early. A picture is a good idea, I will take one of all the coils just before the first coil goes into defrost. A picture could say plenty, good idea and thanks for that.
We do have a holding freezer, it is in the old section of the plant and that is using R22. I am looking at replacing the R22 system in the old part of the plant but first I have to try and optimize the new NH3 system. It is only a couple of months old and still has some bugs to work out, especially in the DDC programming.
There is no VFD on any of the compressors only capacity and volume valves for the screw. The freezer blowers are single speed. Converting the compressors to VFDs would be very expensive and since electricity if still fairly cheap in Canada the payback would be too long to be able to sell the bean counters on it. I'm sure when the carbon tax comes into effect one day the cost of electricity will be high enough to convince them to do it but at that point so many people will want it that the cost of converting to VFDs will jump up a lot too