Maintenance contracts

Hi Guys,
    It's been a while since I've posted on the forum.

I've recently left the company that I worked for, for 11 years after finally deciding to take the plunge and 'go it alone'.

I've got work at present but I feel that I need to be planning for the future and I know that maintenance contracts are the 'bread and butter' when work is quiet and I don't have enough of them just yet so I thought I'd ask the question on here?

How do you go about getting maintenance contracts when you're first starting out?

I've got a website set up but that's pretty much it.

Is it a case of door knocking or are there better ways?

Regards

Marc

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Re: Maintenance contracts

when belfry went tits up- i took pics of all the customer contract files- so i emailed everyone for 3 days solid- then my boss quoted a slightly cheaper maintenance contract, got 50% of belfrys old customers, some contracts have preferred contractors list, customers love chas - so get on linkedin and start searching for your previous customers, those you got on with - will make it easier to get your foot in the door

Thanks Steve,
    I'm in the process of becoming 'safe contractor accredited' I'm hoping this will open a few door for me but who knows.

Most of my old customers are still under contract with my old firm, I don't really want to try and poach them but want to try and find my own. Like I say I've got enough to keep me going for now but I'm thinking of how to get the work in the future.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Hi, marc5180

Quote Originally Posted by marc5180 View Post
    Thanks Steve,
    I'm in the process of becoming 'safe contractor accredited' I'm hoping this will open a few door for me but who knows.

Most of my old customers are still under contract with my old firm, I don't really want to try and poach them but want to try and find my own. Like I say I've got enough to keep me going for now but I'm thinking of how to get the work in the future.
    For sure you are not able to find your new clients too far away from your home ... some of your old customers are always looking for good and cheaper service ... this is your starting point ... you cannot get all of them ... it will be too much for "one man band", but to get few of them on your list wouldn't be too hard and for sure cannot harm your ex firm too much ...

it is business and competitors are normally present .... no need to be too aggressive to get a client i.e. to reduce your offer ... for the moment you would be that one knocking on the doors to introduce yourself - it will be good for you too - to find out the thoughts of your clients ... but after a while your phone will start to ring ....

I wish you a good start ... the same I did in the year 1987. .... must admit, sometimes was not easy to keep the head above trouble water but I'm still alive ... and never regret!!!

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Don`t poach them and let the client know that you are not stealing the old firms business but let them know if they get stuck that you will be there to help them

also safe contractor , altius,constructionline etc all make money from you but very little return that I can see except you pay their wages. pick one and stay with them if your happy as its about health and safety and nothing else the most comprehensive one is altiusVA

Regards
    Peter
    The moving finger writes and leaves a broken fingernail behind!