Thread: Superheat

Hybrid View

moonman Guest

Re: Superheat

Im new to this forum and ive been going through a lot of them and i find them very helpful i would like to say thanx! but i have a question regarding superheat. i got this W/I cooler R22 system i cant get the superheat right my head pressure is 200psi suction 44psi full sightglass TXV bulb is about the 4 O' clock position, i know on coolers superheat should be 8`F to 10`F. i got to 10 but then it just dropped to -18`F the closest ive got it was 2`F. could it be faulty TXV? or oversized orfice? or what else could it be? what do you suggest i check for?

Smile Re: Superheat

Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Im new to this forum and ive been going through a lot of them and i find them very helpful i would like to say thanx! but i have a question regarding superheat. i got this W/I cooler R22 system i cant get the superheat right my head pressure is 200psi suction 44psi full sightglass TXV bulb is about the 4 O' clock position, i know on coolers superheat should be 8`F to 10`F. i got to 10 but then it just dropped to -18`F the closest ive got it was 2`F. could it be faulty TXV? or oversized orfice? or what else could it be? what do you suggest i check for?
    One of my guy call in with almost identical problem as you describe. Negative super heat?? I couldn't beleived my ear.

I went to site. it turned out, Suction valve was broken - split in the middle, sometime it will pump down to negative, sometime not. (it was a semi-hermatic compressor, we take the head apart and replace the valve. problem solved).

Do a pump down test, see if you have the same problem.
    Be Happy

Re: Superheat

As Gary says, you can't have negative superheat, more like subcooling which suggests that you have liquid floodback to your compressor.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc