Hybrid View

Re: holding lectures, any ideas?

Less is more.

Especially if it is engineers you are training... Much less theory and more hands on always win.
    The key isn't so much what the students learn but that they are enjoying the experience. It doesn't matter how many shiny slides you got if the students doesn't sit up and actively listen, I gave up long ago on force-feeding my students raw data. Instead I try to describe the concepts and tell them to RTFM.

In the end, if they are enjoying themselves and absorb 80% of my lecture that consist of 50% of what I want them to learn they still are absorbing more than if they are bored and absorb 30% of the full on theoretical presentation I want them to have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Less is more.

Especially if it is engineers you are training... Much less theory and more hands on always win.
    The key isn't so much what the students learn but that they are enjoying the experience. It doesn't matter how many shiny slides you got if the students doesn't sit up and actively listen, I gave up long ago on force-feeding my students raw data. Instead I try to describe the concepts and tell them to RTFM.

In the end, if they are enjoying themselves and absorb 80% of my lecture that consist of 50% of what I want them to learn they still are absorbing more than if they are bored and absorb 30% of the full on theoretical presentation I want them to have.

I was a weapons and closed order instructor for 3 months while doing my year in the navy, and the mantra was:

-you learn nothing from what you hear
    -a little from something you see
    -but everything from something you do

All good points you have

Thanks
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I was a weapons and closed order instructor for 3 months while doing my year in the navy, and the mantra was:

-you learn nothing from what you hear
    -a little from something you see
    -but everything from something you do

All good points you have

Thanks
    I have a bit of medical training and medics use a similar mantra.

See it done
    Do it
    Teach it

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..