Hybrid View

Re: Miele KFN12924SD 3yrs old - is this 'rust' to be expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Jann View Post
    p.s. what would be the explanation for the 'rust' deposit also?

Thanks
    Hi

The " rust " wont actually be rust but it will be the flux on the pipework where it is brazed,normally a light blue or simular to varnish or white. if there is rust on the black pipework that is the smallest pipe then this would normally only be approx 2" where it is brazed into the compressor. That is normal and ALL refrigeration will have it even sub zero which is 5-8 times more expensive. It is a fact that metal pipework does corrode but takes years, I've seen them 15-20yrs with corrosion and there is no leak as it is on the surface where the heat as effected the chemical formation of the steel pipework.

As a miele and also a liebherr self employed engineer with over 20yrs experience on frost free the fault you had was NOT system.

Bryan

Re: Miele KFN12924SD 3yrs old - is this 'rust' to be expected?

Quote Originally Posted by R600A View Post
    Hi

The " rust " wont actually be rust but it will be the flux on the pipework where it is brazed,normally a light blue or simular to varnish or white. if there is rust on the black pipework that is the smallest pipe then this would normally only be approx 2" where it is brazed into the compressor. That is normal and ALL refrigeration will have it even sub zero which is 5-8 times more expensive. It is a fact that metal pipework does corrode but takes years, I've seen them 15-20yrs with corrosion and there is no leak as it is on the surface where the heat as effected the chemical formation of the steel pipework.

As a miele and also a liebherr self employed engineer with over 20yrs experience on frost free the fault you had was NOT system.

Bryan
    The 'rust' was not just on the pipework, it was a sort of 'heap' (c.7mm high) which had formed on the metal base near the compressor.

I'm confused about you being so sure it was not a 'system' fault as the engineer simply relayed what he was seeing back to the HQ. Given he was replying to their questions, why would they not ask the right questions to determine if it was a system fault or something else?

Is it financially better for Miele if they condemn a unit and let D&G insurance pay for a new one then?

Interesting that you are a Miele+Liebherr self employed engineer - what sort of training do the Miele employed engineers receive (given mine was obviously not au fait with working on the well established 1200 series?)

And would the guy who came have been a Miele full-time engineer or a self-employed engineer?

Thanks