Hybrid View

Re: Measurement of Refrigeration Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Segei View Post
    Let's talk about energy savings. I think that major energy savings should come from efficient operation of the refrigeration plant. Maximum energy savings can be achieved by operating plant at optimum set points and using optimum operating strategies.
    One example. Refrigeration plant has compressor power 2000 HP. It has compressor(low and high stage) VFDs, condenser fan VFDs, evaporator fan VFDs. Put flow meters and they will show that this plant has good COP. But..... This plant is operated at 150 psig(10 bars) condensing pressure all year around. If we take this plant without VFDs($200,000 savings) and lower winter condensing pressure to 120psig(8 bars), this plant will have the same(or better) efficiency than plant with VFDs. However, minimum condensing pressure can be lowered to 100 psig or lower. This is energy savings. This will be 10-20% not 1%. Optimum set points and optimum operating strategies is the way to improve efficiency.
    I could not agree with you more, if every piece of refrigeration had just a small increase in efficiency, think of how big the energy saving would be world wide.
    In these hard times many(most) do not want to spend the money on these type of projects.
    The 1% was only an example, you have to prove performance, unfortunatley this has to be done by wide of instruments. As I stated the main use of flow meters was for one party to prove to another party actual results, more than presumed calculated results.

Re: Measurement of Refrigeration Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    I could not agree with you more, if every piece of refrigeration had just a small increase in efficiency, think of how big the energy saving would be world wide.
    In these hard times many(most) do not want to spend the money on these type of projects.
    The 1% was only an example, you have to prove performance, unfortunately this has to be done by wide of instruments. As I stated the main use of flow meters was for one party to prove to another party actual results, more than presumed calculated results.
    Unfortunately, many companies don't realize that optimization of a refrigeration plant operation is the best way to improve efficiency of every refrigeration plant. Just smart, efficient operation.