Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to assign thermodynamic properties after splitting two phase into gas and liquid

Looking at a simple TXV system. Lets assume after the TXV we seperate the gas down one pipe and the liquid down another. The question is how do we assign the correct thermodynamic properties to each fluid when it gets to end of its pipe.

The gas we want to do work on like heat it or compress it but before we can see where it ends up and predict its temperature and pressure we need to know from where we started? So do we move the gas out of the middle of the bell on a PH diagram to its edge and similarly do we move the liquid back to the saturated liquid line to gets its new properties?

Simply jumping out of the bell interior means that the enthalpy and entropy both make huge changes without any process being done. Hmmm

Your thoughts welcome

Chef

Re: How to assign thermodynamic properties after splitting two phase into gas and liq

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Looking at a simple TXV system. Lets assume after the TXV we seperate the gas down one pipe and the liquid down another. The question is how do we assign the correct thermodynamic properties to each fluid when it gets to end of its pipe.

The gas we want to do work on like heat it or compress it but before we can see where it ends up and predict its temperature and pressure we need to know from where we started? So do we move the gas out of the middle of the bell on a PH diagram to its edge and similarly do we move the liquid back to the saturated liquid line to gets its new properties?

Simply jumping out of the bell interior means that the enthalpy and entropy both make huge changes without any process being done. Hmmm

Your thoughts welcome

Chef
    Gents, to save time & make ease of reading, Jump to; # 103

Just drop the txv & sounds like flooded plate heat exchangers with low pressure vessel, chilled water system, if you plot that on a chart it will come back as you described,

(other than that I am lost for what your trying to acheive)

The liquid remains in the heat exchangers, with some in the vessel, then the boiled of vapour is piped from the top of the vessel back to compressor

You can not get much work out of the vapour compared to the liquid, transfered to vapour

What are we trying to acheive ?

R's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 24-08-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Re: How to assign thermodynamic properties after splitting two phase into gas and liq

i posed that question to "ask jeeves.com"(other similar sites are available)and the reply was-if u chop out the tev then each seperated pipe is going to p*ss out refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    i posed that question to "ask jeeves.com"(other similar sites are available)and the reply was-if u chop out the tev then each seperated pipe is going to p*ss out refrigerant.
    I dont know for sure, you can not believe everything you hear on the net, (as tex found out) just asked the mrs though & she has confirmed "you would loose the gas & some oil"
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 20-08-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post

(other than that I am lost for what your trying to acheive)

R's chillerman
    So I split the gas and liquid but what h and s values are then given to each seperate flow. In a simple example lets have the evap at 1 bar and x=0.3
    The gas/liquid is at h=231 and s=1.13 but now rip away the gas and suddenly it has a value of h=384 and an s=1.75 but we have not done anything except seperate the flows and we see a huge change in properties?

This means the gas/liquid together has one set of properties but when seperated they both have differant set of properties. What are the rules for reassigning the properties to each of the seperate streams.

Simply I want to know where to plot the 2 seperate streams on a PH diagram.

Chef

install monkey - seems Jeeves is way up to speed on this topic eh!

So I split the gas and liquid but what h and s values are then given to each seperate flow. In a simple example lets have the evap at 1 bar and x=0.3
    The gas/liquid is at h=231 and s=1.13 but now rip away the gas and suddenly it has a value of h=384 and an s=1.75 but we have not done anything except seperate the flows and we see a huge change in properties?

This means the gas/liquid together has one set of properties but when seperated they both have differant set of properties. What are the rules for reassigning the properties to each of the seperate streams.

Simply I want to know where to plot the 2 seperate streams on a PH diagram.

Chef
    chef

I am struggling here with what you mean & what your trying to achieve

As far as plotting the cycle on a chart, your vapour is to the right, your saturated vapour is in the middle & the liquid is to the left

but I cant see how this can be plotted without combining temperatures with pressure or why you would want to do this

A system needs to be balanced and an equilibrium from the energy transfering into an evaporator needs to balance out with the energy leaving the condensor, if you remove all vapour, what are we doing pumping neat liquid round a system (& as you mentioned) no work is being done

Energy can niether be created or destroyed just transfered from one form to another, with this in mind and my previous posts combined

The wheel has been created and the rules of thermodynamics are set in stone

My question is what are we trying to acheive ? (the impossible)

I dont understand

Come on chef

not many are like me & dont care what others think !

am not at this level, not at design level even

and do not see what benefit it is

this could be here a while as 60+ views already & nobody has a clue

Hi Chef, good to see you are looking into our little problem.

As far as enthalpy goes, if the vapor is just that vapour (full seperation) then the enthalpy will be on the saturation point of the curve. But how is entropy effected.???????

Come on chef

The question is not based upon what you would expect!

Well chef

I could repeat all of what I have now been told & pretend I fully understand

But I have to work through some of it

I'll let you know I have been put on the right track though

utilizing the flash gas potential for generating flow through an evaporator

gaining maximum velocity through the evap coil which makes it 1 to 1 efficient

r's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 20-08-2011 at 03:28 AM.

well chef

i could repeat all of what i have now been told & pretend i fully understand

but i have to work through some of it

i'll let you know i have been put on the right track though

utilizing the flash gas potential for generating flow through an evaporator

gaining maximum velocity through the evap coil which makes it 1 to 1 efficient

r's chillerman
    ---------no--------

Well Mr Chef

I shall thank you for bringing this to my attention

I have and will continue to gain from this

As I said earlier I am not at this level

But will be following the progress & eagerly await the outcome

To see what can be acheived at such a level, I am yet to fully understand

And thankyou Mad for setting me straight, I can sleep now today

Good night Gents

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    Hi Chef, good to see you are looking into our little problem.

As far as enthalpy goes, if the vapor is just that vapour (full seperation) then the enthalpy will be on the saturation point of the curve. But how is entropy effected.???????
    Mad

Maybe 4:00 here, I'm not sleeping till I have exhausted my understanding or lack of

Trying to understand here full seperation

And by this I mean on the chart the point of seperation I can see

With (as you said) enthalpy following the curve of saturation/vapour

enthalpy tails off at the point of the opposite curve saturation/liquid

So (correct me) this point where enthalpy tails of is the point of entropy

The point of diss-order prior to order and the point at which you need to achieve full seperation

If this is correct, how do you physically get to this point to acheive seperation in the first place ?

And how would this be put to use ?

What sort of system (design) if possible to get to this point & what would this acheive ?

Firstly read the first question, there is no mention of an evaporator.

So without thinking any further than what I say next

We have an open flash economiser vessel, liquid in, liquid out vapour out. what are the properties of all. Are there any strange things happening???

We have an open flash economiser vessel, liquid in, liquid out vapour out. what are the properties of all. Are there any strange things happening???
    There is no stage of saturation

????????????????????

No there must be (surely) a point of saturation, just this is somehow minimal as you have found a way for full seperation

No there must be (surely) a point of saturation, just this is somehow minimal as you have found a way for full seperation
    Yes seperation is an issue, but not the issue in hand (it must happen in an open flash vessel anyway) We are onlt talking about internal energy, (law of conservation)

????????????????????
    There is stage of saturation, the point of entropy, where diss order becomes order once more , the point at which you achieve full seperation ??

I am following I am just trying to work out where we are tranfering the energy from and to - to enable enough to achieve this full seperation

high pressre liquid in (from cond) reduce pressure, what happens?

The liquid entering the flash econimiser has a specific heat/energy & at the point of seperation you are transfering the heat/energy from the liquid into the vapour, in effect subcooling the liquid

The liquid entering the flash econimiser has a specific heat/energy & at the point of seperation you are transfering the heat/energy from the liquid into the vapour, in effect subcooling the liquid
    Not quite, apart from liquid head there is no sub cooling, and you are converting some liquid into vapour to keep the energy balanced. What then are actual properties of each exit stream. This is the question in hand?

The liquid entering the flash econimiser has a specific heat/energy by flashing of some lquid into vapour, you lower the pressure/temperature of the remaining liquid transfering the heat/energy to the vapour, subcooling the remaining liquid...

The liquid entering the flash econimiser has a specific heat/energy by flashing of some lquid into vapour, you lower the pressure/temperature of the remaining liquid transfering the heat/energy to the vapour, subcooling the remaining liquid...
    You are cooling the liquid by vapourizing, the pressure has dropped, so the liquid is at saturation, hence is not sub cooled.

Liquid in - saturated liquid

liquid out - liquid only

vapour out - vapour only

neither are superheated or subcooled

& therefore

to go back to the question from Chef - #5

They would both be plotted on a ph chart along their respective lines at the point of saturation

???????????

Liquid in - saturated liquid

liquid out - liquid only

vapour out - vapour only

neither are superheated or subcooled

& therefore

to go back to the question from Chef - #5

They would both be plotted on a ph chart along their respective lines at the point of saturation

???????????
    Yes one would think so?????, unless someone can show something else??? and this is all chef was asking

Thanks Mad

I understand what you mean at last

Talk about - I beat around every bush first & need spoon feeding

Thanks Chef, if you had not have posted that question, there would still be that gap in my knowledge

(But scrolling back up - no-one else came along and attempted it did they)

Back on track

So what you's were looking for was not me butting in, but someone on par with yourselves, who maybe could have come up with that something else that may or may not be there ?

no butting in is good, if you do not ask, then you will not get an answer. No one knows everything,
    " the more I know, more I know, I know nothing"

no butting in is good, if you do not ask, then you will not get an answer. No one knows everything,
    " the more I know, more I know, I know nothing"
    Yeah, thanks Mate

Got a new signature too now

The methodology for solution will very much depend on the two-phase model you select. Flow regime for two-phase flow can be rather interesting & the theory is far from settled.

With different flow regimes, comes different levels of phase interaction.

So, pick a suitable model, or models, predict the flow regime & determine the appropriate properties.

I have a few very useful references to hand. If you pm me, with your current e-mail address, I'll get these onto you.
    Engineering Specialist - Cuprobraze, Nocolok, CD Technology
    Rarefied Technologies ( SE Asia )

Chillerman, Mad is right and the whole question is just about how to get the properties of the split streams. If I read the previous posts correctly it seems it should be possible to simply move the 2 streams to their respective lines on the bubble but does that meet the no work and no heat input criteria is met. So I propose this:- (which is way too complicated for a Sunday morning I should add)

As no work or heat has been applied to either of the separated streams we can write the state function as

dS=dQ-dW

and the process as dh=dQ-dW+pdv+vdp

As dQ the heat input is zero and dW the work done is zero the dS must be zero

So x*S4-S3+S5-x*S5 = 0

And as both p the pressure and v the volume are constant dh can be set to zero so there is no gain or loss of enthalpy

So m*(h4-h3)-m*(1-x)*(h4-h5) = 0

Where h3 is the enthalpy at a quality of x
    And h4 is the enthalpy at the gas line
    And h5 is the enthalpy at the liquid line
    Also S3, S4 and S5 are the entropy at the same locations.

This boils down to the fact if these state functions are equal to zero then we can indeed split the gas out and position directly on the gas line whilst the liquid must then be plotted on the liquid line with the caveat that both streams must have their respective masses carried with them and new processes can then be started.

But I am still mystified why the gas can have its entropy changed without work or heat input?

Chef

Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    The methodology for solution will very much depend on the two-phase model you select. Flow regime for two-phase flow can be rather interesting & the theory is far from settled.

With different flow regimes, comes different levels of phase interaction.

So, pick a suitable model, or models, predict the flow regime & determine the appropriate properties.

I have a few very useful references to hand. If you pm me, with your current e-mail address, I'll get these onto you.
    Thanks for the offer of the 2 phase papers but we really need to get to the pure gas and liquid states and the 2 phase episode is already past. There seems to be very little referance to this problem where ever I have looked.

Chef

Chillerman, Mad is right and the whole question is just about how to get the properties of the split streams. If I read the previous posts correctly it seems it should be possible to simply move the 2 streams to their respective lines on the bubble but does that meet the no work and no heat input criteria is met. So I propose this:- (which is way too complicated for a Sunday morning I should add)

As no work or heat has been applied to either of the separated streams we can write the state function as

dS=dQ-dW

and the process as dh=dQ-dW+pdv+vdp

As dQ the heat input is zero and dW the work done is zero the dS must be zero

So x*S4-S3+S5-x*S5 = 0

And as both p the pressure and v the volume are constant dh can be set to zero so there is no gain or loss of enthalpy

So m*(h4-h3)-m*(1-x)*(h4-h5) = 0

Where h3 is the enthalpy at a quality of x
    And h4 is the enthalpy at the gas line
    And h5 is the enthalpy at the liquid line
    Also S3, S4 and S5 are the entropy at the same locations.

This boils down to the fact if these state functions are equal to zero then we can indeed split the gas out and position directly on the gas line whilst the liquid must then be plotted on the liquid line with the caveat that both streams must have their respective masses carried with them and new processes can then be started.

But I am still mystified why the gas can have its entropy changed without work or heat input?

Chef
    Afternoon Chef

Thanks for such a detailed answer to work with,

(This is going to take me all day to get my head around as I have to reference all the letter symbols first, before i can attempt to work out what you mean.)

Morning MF

But I will, you's have me hooked now.

side tracking slightly away from the original reason for posting as i always look at the final acheivement

the research that you's are doing is for the design of 'A'

the problem i have is where they (liquid/vapour) end up and thus system balanceing

the component that does the system work has a limited ability

with this in mind

the more work it does removing the vapour from 'A'

the less work it can do in the usual way

ideally the liquid will be subcooled before it leaves 'A' moving it away from the bell

but it appears to me that this will reduce overall system ability to cool

and there is a fine line of how much vapour can be removed from 'A' without this reduction

I know you's must have already considered this so,

Just asking, can enough vapour be removed from the liquid to increase cooling without loosing cooling ability in the conventional way ?
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 21-08-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: time lines

Chef is in Fiji (Lucky bar stewerd), would I be working on refrigeration fomulures, or sucking dowm a Pina Colarda?
    Good on chef for making the wrong choice.
    CM, this not the process only the very beginning

Chef is in Fiji (Lucky bar stewerd), would I be working on refrigeration fomulures, or sucking dowm a Pina Colarda?
    Good on chef for making the wrong choice.
    CM, this not the process only the very beginning
    Bar Steward,

When your hooked on info/solutions - yes the right choice!

All I could think of last night during dinner - when most would be thinking of serviceing
    Oh well I will have to wait until your in a position to safely reveal

Am even more entreagued now - as i was thinking it could only be in one position on a conventional system, obviously much more to it,

Hope it all goes well next month

Your were right Mad and so we went to the sun deck and had a couple of Fiji Golds and the watched the world cup final and saw Brazil win 3 - 2. Exemplorary. Good input.

So the last test seems to be that h5-h3-x(h5+h4)+2xh3 must tend to zero to make

dh=d(S+pv) true.

But for this to happen it makes it an isochoric process and that then means that the gas portion at the outlet of the TXV already has the properties of the gas at the gas line. It is therefore only the liquid that holds the core thermodynamic properties. ie it does not matter what you do with the gas as it cannot affect the liquid except for normalising the mass if one removes it. Interesting!

How to calculate this on the fly and use it is a distant goal at the moment. But without it how can we go to stage 2.

Knickers, we are going back to the sun deck for some more Fiji Gold.

Chef

World cup???? Brazil???? Soccer???? (surely not that far behind the times????????)
    Golds! yummmmmmmmmmmmm!
    So it would seem that all we need to know at this point, is the % by mass of the lquid and vapour streams at the relevent saturation points?

Thanks Mad

I understand what you mean at last

Talk about - I beat around every bush first & need spoon feeding

Thanks Chef, if you had not have posted that question, there would still be that gap in my knowledge

(But scrolling back up - no-one else came along and attempted it did they)

Back on track

So what you's were looking for was not me butting in, but someone on par with yourselves, who maybe could have come up with that something else that may or may not be there ?
    Have to chime in here, potential rant warning, and don't take it personally, but owning up to the fact that i've had to fight for every advancement in knowledge gained to date to succeed, not only in the refrigeration industry, as my main focus, but in my other curricular studies or hobbies i call them, including psychology and non mainstream medical advancements, that i struggle to digest the "quantum" aspect of this thread.. So continue, (giving the Jedi hand movement), and i will follow this thread through without asking questions and absorb what i can as it does trigger curiosity. Thanks "Mad" and C.M... Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Annular flow, slug flow, plug flow - all have vapour split from liquid. Take your pick.

You will need to understand the flow regime at some point, I fear. Thermodynamics will have assumptions about the fluid under consideration. Your final system will be somewhere between two extreme positions, due to liquid-vapour interaction.
    Engineering Specialist - Cuprobraze, Nocolok, CD Technology
    Rarefied Technologies ( SE Asia )

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Have to chime in here, potential rant warning, and don't take it personally, but owning up to the fact that i've had to fight for every advancement in knowledge gained to date to succeed, not only in the refrigeration industry, as my main focus, but in my other curricular studies or hobbies i call them, including psychology and non mainstream medical advancements, that i struggle to digest the "quantum" aspect of this thread.. So continue, (giving the Jedi hand movement), and i will follow this thread through without asking questions and absorb what i can as it does trigger curiosity. Thanks "Mad" and C.M... Mike.
    Good Evening Mike

You'll notice I did no contribution here mate, Have just found more I want to learn & comments keep the post up there, which may lead to another view from someone at their level

World cup???? Brazil???? Soccer???? (surely not that far behind the times????????)
    Golds! yummmmmmmmmmmmm!
    So it would seem that all we need to know at this point, is the % by mass of the lquid and vapour streams at the relevent saturation points?
    It is the under 20 world cup held in Columbia and was live today.

I will work on the other stuff later.

I will work on the other stuff later.
    Evening Chef

@ nearly 7pm more work, on a sunday, you must be due a few drinks now !

Hi Mike, please ask questions! As design engineers it is very easy to get an idea into our heads, and very difficult to remove. Hence the questions do seem to be vague, as we are looking for a different approach or answer. So please jump in as this can also help us re think our thoughts. What I am looking for is for proof that the widget will not work. or reversly that the widget may work.

Just noticed now this post. I thought if Chef's asking a question and scrolling down, Mad Fridgie replies to it, then I have to read ever comma of this thread because both of them will dig very deep in the Thermodynamic laws again. Which I will do right now...reading, not digging.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Annular flow, slug flow, plug flow - all have vapour split from liquid. Take your pick.

You will need to understand the flow regime at some point, I fear. Thermodynamics will have assumptions about the fluid under consideration. Your final system will be somewhere between two extreme positions, due to liquid-vapour interaction.
    Would the flow regime relate directly to the exit of the expansion valve and its effects reduce if the bell (liquid vapour seperator) is a reduced velocity and impegement type. (basically allowing the heavy liquid to fall to the bottom and the lighter vapour to rise to the top)

I am certainly not at the level chef, DesA or Peter, just a different level. I am always learning from these guys,(thank you), If you are unsure of what is being said. ask!, and no doubt we will try to answer in a different termonology.

Come on chef

This quote stands!!
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast