Hybrid View

Re: AC power cord replacement question

In the UK they are called RCD plugs. Residual Current Device and it is used to protect against electric shock. If your US version is the same then it could be replaced with any compatible type. In the UK we can buy them from wholesale outlets, electrical supplies and DIY shops. They are easy to fit and should not be any harder than a normal plug top.

That is all dependant on it being the same as a RCD plug.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post

In the UK they are called RCD plugs. Residual Current Device and it is used to protect against electric shock. If your US version is the same then it could be replaced with any compatible type. In the UK we can buy them from wholesale outlets, electrical supplies and DIY shops. They are easy to fit and should not be any harder than a normal plug top.

That is all dependant on it being the same as a RCD plug.

Rob

Thank you for the reply. I looked closely at the plug, and it is an LDCI. Leakage current detector and interrupter. There is also a sticker on the side of the unit that says that a damaged cord must be replaced with a new one from them if that matters. If I understand correctly, a LCDI it’s basically a GFCI, but I could be wrong since I’ve never seen one before. So in theory, I could install a GFCI receptacle to plug it into and replace it with a normal plug, right?.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy4 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I looked closely at the plug, and it is an LDCI. Leakage current detector and interrupter. There is also a sticker on the side of the unit that says that a damaged cord must be replaced with a new one from them if that matters. If I understand correctly, a LCDI it’s basically a GFCI, but I could be wrong since I’ve never seen one before. So in theory, I could install a GFCI receptacle to plug it into and replace it with a normal plug, right?.
    It's a cable and plug!

What you have to remember is the makers of the AC unit need to protect themselves from any legal action in the event anything going wrong so they will state that the whole thing needs to be replaced professionally to cover themselves.

If you are confident that you can do it and as long as you use the appropriate fittings then changing the plug and or cable with a suitable compatible one is totally acceptable and should cause no problems or complications.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post
    It's a cable and plug!

What you have to remember is the makers of the AC unit need to protect themselves from any legal action in the event anything going wrong so they will state that the whole thing needs to be replaced professionally to cover themselves.

If you are confident that you can do it and as long as you use the appropriate fittings then changing the plug and or cable with a suitable compatible one is totally acceptable and should cause no problems or complications.

Rob

Thank you. I know that I can safely change the cord and/or plug since I’ve done both many times before, but I don’t think I can install a a standard plug on this unit since it has a special cord. I found that an LCDI is to shut off power to the unit to prevent a fire if something in the wiring shorts out. So I presume that I do need to replace the entire cord for that safety feature to work since I can’t buy an LCDI plug because it’s part of the cord. Am I correct?
    Last edited by coolguy4; 28-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.