Hybrid View

Re: Stress Corrosion Cracking in NH3 Vessels

It has been a year and a half since I posted those pictures of the vessel. My first post on RE was on this thread, if I recall correctly.
    I just wanted to update a bit.
    We installed a temporary receiver in the system. When we applied for a permit it was found that the condenser installation did not meet structural codes. This started a very expensive chain of events.
    We installed a new receiver and condenser. Another contractor built a new condenser stand and set it in place.
    However there has been no time for the plant to shut down, and the final cutovers have not been made. When they are made I hope to get pictures of the inside of the vessel.

It would also be interesting to find out if the new receiver was specified with heat treatment for stress relieving. One of the US vessel manufacturers has been requesting customer to specify this to reduce the residual stresses created by manufacturing. This is in addition to the 0.2% water content.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Yes, the new receiver was stress relieved. After that experience no one wants to go through that again.
    As to the water content, it would be nice to have a simple, but accurate way to measure.
    In this case I am sure the plant did have water in the system. Apparently it was not effective in preventing the problem.