R718 is not as safe as you thought

Dihydrogen Monoxide, also known as R718, is promised to be an environmentally friendly refrigerant, with (supposedly) zero ODP and GWP. But why aren't we using it much? Here's why:
    http://www.dhmo.org/
    Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
    Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    Now we know. It's so reactive that it destroys compressors. Some have tried making compressors resistant to R718, but most have just gave up on R718 and decided to use other refrigerants.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=134349
    I have seen some affects of dihydrogen monoxide that were pretty good. If you saturate an attractively built woman in a tee shirt with dihydrogen monoxide, it can be quite sexually stimulating.
    I think that's what happened a few years ago in high school when someone vented a few pounds of R718 right at me. If only the "no venting" law applied to R718... (But at least I realized that R718 does work as a refrigerant!)
    It is also a greenhouse gas. It retains a LOT of heat below on the earth when in semi-condensed status in the air...
    For some reason, all the information sheets I could find about R718 list the GWP as 0. I wonder what's the real GWP value...
    Last edited by star882; 02-04-2007 at 02:10 AM.

"If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine

Re: R718 is not as safe as you thought

I have found it works well in cascade systems if used in a exposed loop. However this does add Dihydrogen Monoxide to the air.
    I am in a coastal town now. Dihydrogen Monoxide is a very common air pollutant here. It reacts with the exposed metals to corrode them. Everyone wishes there were less of it in the air.
    However it is very useful in Boilers, and in cooling engines. We cannot afford to ban it at this point.
    It does however mix well with some beverages, especially if in a solid state.

Yes, it makes a good first stage refrigerant for A/C. But then again, I don't think the EPA would like an A/C that vents refrigerant on purpose. However, depending on the actual GWP of R718, that might be more than made up for by reduced energy usage.
    However, it does need a vacuum to evaporate readily at normal temperatures. At 0PSIg, several pounds of R718 vented towards my chest area failed to give the pervert the desired result. But as I found out, a fraction of an ounce of R134a released from disconnecting gauges is surprisingly effective at making it happen.

And of course, R718 is still a very good and common solvent. I wonder what would be used instead when they phase it out...
    "If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by star882 View Post
    At 0PSIg, several pounds of R718 vented to wards my chest area failed to give the pervert the desired result. But as I found out, a fraction of an ounce of R134a released from disconnecting gauges is surprisingly effective at making it happen.
    Forgive him his mortal weaknesses Star882, he was overcome with your allure.
    As for the use of refrigerants to achieve these results, is the EPA going to be prosecuting perverts now?They are into everything else. Perhaps we will need more regulation to prevent such heinous releases!

R718 is water

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    R718 is water

That IS the point. They are just having fun.

It's the Second of April today.

..... there must be something about time zones that transcend humour.

point taken but if your stuck at the bottom of 60` of it, it would certainly not be to safe

Prof Joachim Paul of Copenhagen University offered the conclusive proof several years ago that R-718 is definitely not a safe refrigerant - it is the only one that contains sharks.

cheers

Andy P