Thread: Blast Freezer

Hybrid View

Re: Blast Freezer

The shelf life at -60°C is double as that with -25°C storage is said
    Well, I shouldn't believe this if this hasn't been proved by an official organism.
    I don't say it's not true.
    What has been proved is that the molecular structure remains more intact the faster your freeze the product so that ice crystals can't deform the structure.
    And you loose less water out of the product if you freeze faster.
    Really need to go that low in temperature , I should choose then for a cryogenic tunnel.

The refrigerant on the second stage is indeed expensive but that's in my opinion a short vision of the problem: what about operating costs calculated over all the years?
    One stage on R410a gives a COP of +/- 0.7 with all the additional problems.

A cascade will run at a COP of +/- 2 so almost triple efficiency.

And must this cost really double because it's a cascade system? Most components remains the same whatever system you use.
    But I haven't calculated it.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1 View Post
    Really need to go that low in temperature , I should choose then for a cryogenic tunnel.
    Cryogenic will be the future.
    Have done some experiment on the Liquid Nitro freezing and its really impressive.

The equipment though is a lot lot more expensive especially if investment includes a Liquid Nitrogen Generating Plant.

The refrigerant on the second stage is indeed expensive but that's in my opinion a short vision of the problem: what about operating costs calculated over all the years?
    One stage on R410a gives a COP of +/- 0.7 with all the additional problems.

A cascade will run at a COP of +/- 2 so almost triple efficiency.
    If the plan push through to have a cascade blast freezer in one my client's fish processing facility, i can have all that data.

I hope its in the near future.
    There are still some pieces missing in the cold chain especially in the retailer's side.

And must this cost really double because it's a cascade system? Most components remains the same whatever system you use.
    But I haven't calculated it.
    Am only using the price quoted by suppliers for the complete system.
    Of course, we know its not double in the COST side but suppliers usually make the SELLING PRICE of equipment like this much more than the usual prices. They have to consider warranty side.
    A leak of R23 or R508 will cost a lot plus the technicians that will service the equipment.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by winfred.dela View Post
    .... Have done some experiment on the Liquid Nitro freezing and its really impressive.
    The equipment though is a lot lot more expensive especially if investment includes a Liquid Nitrogen Generating Plant.
    Here in Belgium, they allways bring the liquid nitrogen with big trucks to a special isolated container.

If the plan push through to have a cascade blast freezer in one my client's fish processing facility, i can have all that data.
    I'm really interested in this and I think with me, many others.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Here in Belgium, they allways bring the liquid nitrogen with big trucks to a special isolated container.
    Six years ago (year 2000), a Japanese firm installed mini Liquid Nitrogen Plants in 3 places here in Mindanao. Its the set-up am thinking of.

I'm really interested in this and I think with me, many others.
    We have already made some test (2 years ago) and its OK but very few data were gathered. I will share if the project push through.

It's a pity that there are no Japanese Refrigeration Engineers that are active in this forum.
    For so many years, they have been into this -60C blast freezer, cold storage and chest type freezers.
    I have seen it done (year 2001) for large Tuna (50kgs+ fish) in Indonesia.

Also, the Cell Alive System (CAS) has been developed to served the same Sashimi fillet and other fish processing plants.

. . .