Hi LC,

#***** system is more efficient than ammonia system and more and more used in cold storage
If the system were designed identically using the same components and same operating conditions, ammonia is still better than the other refrigerants.

#***** system initial cost is higher than ammonia system
Again, using the same example, the ammonia system may be slightly higher. If steel pipe is used, the R-22 would probably be higher cost due to larger pipe sizes required.

#***** system has better automatic control than ammonia system
No. Ammonia systems are starting to get some very "smart" control systems. PLC control is essentially ON/Off control. It is the control algorithms that make the control system work. I have personally seen a "*****" control system used on an ammonia system. The controls were junk...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1
The market for automatic control systems for ***** systems is much bigger then that of ammonia so I think there is more money invested in control systems.
Very true, but it is beginning to change.

#***** system has lower operation and maintenance cost because ammonia system need air purge /charge makeup /oil adding more often
On an industrial system using R-22 you would still need a purger. The industrial compressors all have shaft seals, which can admit non-condensable vapors into the system.

Even if the system pressures are above atmospheric pressure, air can still get into a system during service and charging. I would recommend a purger for any industrial system.

I agree with Peter and Andy (although I'm not sure what a Bollocks is, or means. I suspect it is not very complimentary!)

You really got me excited with this one LC.