In Texas, the Texas Professional Engineering Act (a state statute) defines what you have to do to be called an Engineer. They police this and do invistigate members complaints. A quarterly newsletter is published and list violators of the ACT and the amount of the fine. For improper use of the term engineer, the fine ranges from $2,000.00 US to $10,000.00 US. If your firm provides an engineering service to the public, you have to register the firm with the state as well as have a Texas registered engineer actively involved in the design.

I know that Carrier, York and Trane have all been called on the carpet for using the terms Sales Engineer or Service Engineer. The first time thay are given a verbal notice and after that a monetary fine.

There are a lot of registered engineers that I consider a joke to the profession. With 5 years of college in mechanical engineering, heat transfer and thermodnamics, several years working in service, project management, manufacturing and sales, along with passing two grueling 8 hour professional engineer exams, I have earned the right to be called an engineer.

I whole heartly support the separation of the term engineer for those actively working as engineers and have the proper qualifications.

I do not mean or intend to tick-off the qualified technicians. I depend heavily on our technicians for the day-to-day items in the working of the equipment just as they depend on me for the detailed design of the components and system.

Ken