Thread: Engineers Scale

Hybrid View

Re: Engineers Scale

How come we can suddenly see the age of the poster?

Webram?

On my business card I call myself Consultant Engineer...
    Careful Abe - your head might swell

In Texas, the Texas Professional Engineering Act (a state statute) defines what you have to do to be called an Engineer. They police this and do invistigate members complaints. A quarterly newsletter is published and list violators of the ACT and the amount of the fine. For improper use of the term engineer, the fine ranges from $2,000.00 US to $10,000.00 US. If your firm provides an engineering service to the public, you have to register the firm with the state as well as have a Texas registered engineer actively involved in the design.

I know that Carrier, York and Trane have all been called on the carpet for using the terms Sales Engineer or Service Engineer. The first time thay are given a verbal notice and after that a monetary fine.

There are a lot of registered engineers that I consider a joke to the profession. With 5 years of college in mechanical engineering, heat transfer and thermodnamics, several years working in service, project management, manufacturing and sales, along with passing two grueling 8 hour professional engineer exams, I have earned the right to be called an engineer.

I whole heartly support the separation of the term engineer for those actively working as engineers and have the proper qualifications.

I do not mean or intend to tick-off the qualified technicians. I depend heavily on our technicians for the day-to-day items in the working of the equipment just as they depend on me for the detailed design of the components and system.

Ken