Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post
Just out of interest you ought to get the second guy to take the comp back to the suplier.
If it is a manufacturing issue they may honour the warentee??

Its worth a try.

Rob

HRP must be sending out dodgy makes then in 7 years i've had only 1 duff compressor.... haha

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
buy a new compressor,swap the dataplates and return it in a month for warranty replacement- then you'll have a spare-then flog it on e bay or keep it as a spare
Brilliant advice, rep points on the way....

Quote Originally Posted by crazy flowers View Post
thanks for the replies..
the engineer couldn't tell us what has caused the fault (if indeed it is that?)

I called insurance company- they said its wear and tear.. and thus it would not be covered! We can dispute this, but would involve us filing a claim, them sending an engineer to do a report, and it would depend on insurance engineers opinion whether its 'wear & tear' (bear in mind its only 1yr old) or if its a manufacturing fault or something else... but in that case we would NOT get paid, plus we would lose 'no-claims' as it would go down as a 'non-paid' claim so would effect our future insurance- insurers should come with a mask!!

I've got another company coming out today to diagnose it.. will see.. I still think its unfair that the manufacturers can't be liable for some of the blame as surely it should last longer than 368 days!!
If the installer has installed the unit in a crap location or not carried out his works properly the blame could lie with him, on the other hand if the unit is choked up with dust and grime and hasn't been serviced...then its your fault for being tight .... just saying as you didn't answer if it had been serviced or not...

Quote Originally Posted by crazy flowers View Post
Just had 2nd engineer out- he confirmed that the compressor is broken and seemed surprised given the age of it.. he said it will be about £300 to repair it (just waiting for confirmation of price) but he also said that he could give us a report to satisfy the insurance that it is not due to wear and tear.. so hopefully we could go to them with that before we get it done and they might pay up?
Are your contractors offering up reasons as to why the compressor has failed, often you cannot fully interogate and fault find until the new compressor is fitted, however he should be able to offer up some explanation to you as to why it has failed...Also don't always go with the cheapest quotation, compare them closely, as the first firm may have decided to change electrical components (contactor, capacitor etc) and protection devices like High pressure switch etc to cover all the bases and make a lasting repair.....

J