After reading some of these stories and wiping away the tears from laughter, the old grey matter kicked in and various incidents came flooding back. With saying that and keeping to the title of, why a little knowledge can be dangerous in mind, I had to pick the following one that sums it up.
It was my second week as an apprentice and was told to work the weekend at an M+S (some where in the UK. LOL) I was teamed up with this 2nd year apprentice who shall we say, new everything to know about the trade. You now the type, we all know one. LOL. So to cut a long story short, picture a long hard installation of 3-4 months and there being only a simple 12 meters of liquid line to be connected up in the header station. You picture it? Then think of a 3rd year know it all spotty apprentice gobbing of when he was told to haul the Oxy/Acet seven floors to the roof and install this final pipe work. Still with me? Know finally picture this know-all noticing that there was a pipe run tucked in the corner with a dirty label saying, DO NOT TOUCH. Then he noticed that this pipe run with the dirty label saying, DO NOT TOUCH was near to where his run was to be. Deciding that this pipe must be redundant and with cutters in hand, he cut into this pipe that had the dirty label that read, DO NOT USE and connected it to the main liquid line. After a quick check of the joints we returned down to the plant room to watch the lads firing up the plant. After only 30 mins, I started to notice a few puzzled looks on their faces. When I asked what was going on I was told that they had no back pressure, and then at that moment, all hell was let loose. Watching men bounding up ten steps at a time, and hearing the sounds of grown men crying echoing from the roof, I guessed all was not good. Making my way to the roof, I quickly noticed every one huddled around the header station and someone with a DIRTY label in his shaking hand that read, WATER SUPPLY FOR REFRIGERATION PLANT, DO NOT TOUCH. You just can imagine the rest I am sure with only 48hrs to hand over. You had to be there. .
Cheers