Evap trays freezing up

Hi Guys,

We are having trouble with the trays under our evaps freezing up and overflowing out onto the cold storage floor.Last time i thawed them out i put some heat trace there to see if that would fix the problem but within a month they froze up again and started leaking onto the floor.Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening?Why is it happening,does it have something to do with the defrost?What can i do HELP ME

Re: Evap trays freezing up

It the drain clear from the evap tray? Or any frost of fungus blocking the drain or p trap etc?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hi stanthonycold
    You could try insulating the bottom of the trays (to allow them to stay warmer, longer) and ensure there is a delay after defrost, before refrigeration starts to allow the water to drain. Also ensure ther is free flow of the drain pipe to allow the water to get away. Is the drain pipe insulated and does heat trace go down or around the drain?

Probably, your evaporator pans are heated by hot gas. There are 2 approaches to supply hot gas. First, hot gas goes to the pan and than to the evaporator(series). Second, hot gas goes to the pan and to the evaporator in parallel. In this approach you have 2 BPRs(back pressure regulators). What supply do you have? Are evaporators located in the freezer(ceiling) or in the penthouse?

is the drain heated ?? and is the drain run to an external source ?

Yes i wrapped the drain with heat trace and insulation and yes the water runs to an external source

Hot gas defrosting should be set up properly. Additional heaters will not solve the problem.