Quote Originally Posted by airefresco View Post
Yes and no. The power supply must powerfull enough to take the load and then a bit of spare, just in case. So you need to calculate what the total load is. For example say you have a peltier rated at 50w and then two fans at say 10w then you would need a power supply that is able to take at least 70w. Those numbers are purley as an example, your load I expect would be larger than that, but you would have to calculate that when you´ve sourced all the parts. I doubt the power supplys you have in mind would be powerfull enough. A computer power supply would do the job while you get things started.

This is where the controls part comes in. When you´ve got something that works you need a way to stop the peltier without distroying it. This where I am a bit sketchy, but from what I can gather if you just simply stop the peltier (like with a thermostat or switch or something) the plate over time can become damaged through the temperature difference accross the panel. You have to reduce the voltage gradually while the sides balance out. So you would have power supply - controller - peltier. Like I said I´m a bit sketchy on the controls side of things, but i´m sure someone will chip in shortly to fill you in and tell you i´m completely wrong with my understanding.

Hmmm, that's a problem. I already have a device that is designed to turn the power off when a certain temp is reached. It's not designed to step the power down at all but to just stop.