aucklander Guest

Condenser flexible connection??

Hi all!

I am pricing a job and the Mechanical Specification is asking for the following: "Final connections shall include bends with two degrees of movement to allow for vibration and movement for units.....".

This refers to the installation of two hi-wall (2.5kW and 3.5kW), one 5kW split ducted and one ceiling cassette 12kW, with 4 condensers on a roof platform.

I could not find someone to know where these bends with two degrees of movement can be sourced from... I always disregarded this requirement in the Mech Spec and nobody complained so far, but I want to better understand why is it specified in the first place... I mean... I understand why, buy why nobody seems to know about them?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris.

TRASH101 is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Re: Condenser flexible connection??

Its sounds like a spec for steel pipes.

In my opinion you really don't need a flexible connection to allow a 2 degree movement. Even a short radius elbow would allow that.

In your position I would form the bends with a set of benders that give a reasonabley long radius.

Never heard of it for interconnecting copper piping but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Good luck
    Quidvis Recte Factum Quamvis Humile Praeclarum.

Latine dictum, sit altum videtur.

Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

your specifier has totally screwed up, plucked the wrong spec sheet, challenge them on spec..,
    magoo

yep they do exist,one mob is gomax whoever they are,its called gomax infinity hose
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

The term I have heard for the item in question is called a vibration eliminator. These are usually used to reduce transmission of equipment generated vibration to the building structure or downstream of the equipment. They will also provide some flexibility in the piping for equipment movement due to operation (starting a compressor which is mounted on flexible mounts) and for expansion and contraction of the pipe due to thermal growth.

Most of the required flexibility for the piping can be provided by using a minimum of three changes in direction. A situation (that I call hard piped) is where the pipe is ran directly from a point to a point without any changes in direction. The expansion/contraction of piping in this type of installation can be a problem as it is stiff and not flexible.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

I dont know with minisplits.. but I know in the real world in large units i have made a lot of $$ replacing vibration eliminators for on-call service calls... I used to keep them in stock (when I was in the commercial HVAC business) they seem to be a common failure point...

with an inverter type minisplit you will notice a little vibration at slower compressor speeds.. seems to carry through through the copper piping.. with non inverter I dont notice it at all....
    however like above.. i wouldnt just "hard pipe" it in..
    -Christopher

As mentioned, these are not an assurance of problems solved. I have seen these deform from freezing or extended use also. And... the have to be installed correctly. They are not flexible to allow bad piping jobs!
    If all else fails, ask for help.

In Earthquake-ville NZ [ commonly know as 'the shakey Isles' ]they could be wanting some sort of isolation. Vib-illiminators. Personally wouldn't bother. Would be the last I would be worrying about if the building fell apart in an earthquake. As for out door unit deflection from vibration, does not happen. The manufactures have that covered in system design

Hi
    Any movement should be taken care of inside the condenser unit and if your units are securely mounted they should not be moving anywhere.

FIXIT
    First time every time..

Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"