gareththornley Guest

Foster Freezer compressor fault?

I have a foster freezer which suddenly developed a fault- the warning on the control panel was "high temp warning"
    I reset the fault and checked to make sure doors were shut propely then restarted the machine. Temp started to come down so I went to bed as it was midnight. In the morning I checked the machine on my way out. the high temp fault had re appeared so i left a note for the chef to ring the service company that we are currently using. They promptly turned up and declared that the compressor needs replacing.
    The diagnosis took less than 2 minutes.
    I am not a refrigeration engineer but have worked in the catering industry for 15 years and prior to that in a repair industry. So when things go faulty I am the first line of defence.
    I have never known an engineer diagnose a refrigeration problem so quickly.
    Any help or advise much appreciated
    the freezer is about 5 years old and was working well until yesterday.

Gareth

Re: Foster Freezer compressor fault?

why not get a second opinion from another service company if you think your being led up the garden path.

It doesnt take long to diaganose a faulty compressor, they are usually locked rotor (seized) normally because they have not been maintained and in a kitchen environment the condenser will possibly be coated in grease and oil. Take a second opinion by all means but you will probably have to pay a call out charge etc again.

gareththornley Guest

Thanks for the advise, we are quite remote so it is difficult to get companies to come out at short notice, we had a great engineer but unfortunately he sold out to Raines who charge us £180 +vat call out fee on top of work done so we changed to another small new firm. This is their first proper job for us so I am a little wary. They have previously (6 months ago) replaced the run cap on this freezer but only after their second visit.
    Their quote seems reasonable apart from £160 for gas which is more than I have previously been charged when compressors have been changed.
    Over the years here we have had some very poor service from several companies. So I always question what I am told and check up where I can.

Gareth

I am not a refrigeration engineer but have worked in the catering industry for 15 years and prior to that in a repair industry.
    You was evidently ignoring electrotechnics during that time.

"Were" seems to be the only one, archaic, "Vous" verbal form in English.

gareththornley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri B. View Post
    You was evidently ignoring electrotechnics during that time.
    I can usually repair most things electrical, but I am not gas trained so stay away from refigerants. - maybe I should do a course and get qualified., then nothing would break on site for ages and I would forget the training or it would go out of date.

Anyway the engineers arrived about an hour ago. So fingers crossed.

Gareth

if you think you know more than the engineer thats fully qualified then why bother calling anyone out

im doubtful of other peoples skills and integrity until proven too,why throw away good money.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    if you think you know more than the engineer thats fully qualified then why bother calling anyone out

I don't think he actualy said that and if he has been stung in the past then why should he not question the work.

taz

Quote Originally Posted by gareththornley View Post
    I have a foster freezer which suddenly developed a fault- the warning on the control panel was "high temp warning"
    I reset the fault and checked to make sure doors were shut propely then restarted the machine. Temp started to come down so I went to bed as it was midnight. In the morning I checked the machine on my way out. the high temp fault had re appeared so i left a note for the chef to ring the service company that we are currently using. They promptly turned up and declared that the compressor needs replacing.
    The diagnosis took less than 2 minutes.
    I am not a refrigeration engineer but have worked in the catering industry for 15 years and prior to that in a repair industry. So when things go faulty I am the first line of defence.
    I have never known an engineer diagnose a refrigeration problem so quickly.
    Any help or advise much appreciated
    the freezer is about 5 years old and was working well until yesterday.

Gareth

Your question is a resonable one.
    It is possible for the comp to be faulty and if it is clicking on the klixon then the engineer could assume it is faulty.

The chances are it is faulty but there is a slight chance that the relay, capacitor or klixon is faulty and giving the same symptoms.
    If the comp was running the only correct way to test it would be to put a set of gauges on it and do a proper test.

taz.

£160 for gas seems a bit steep as a single door foster usually holds around 350grams and a double door about 500 or so grams. Check the ID plate on the unit and it should tell you the exact charge.