Hi Baker

I and the present Mrs Frank spent 10 days in and around Perth at Christmas (well early December). I must say that I found the city just as much as a normal english city - shops, McDonalds, tacky immigrant junk shops etc., We had a few beers in one of the bars just opposite the main shopping centre, right on the corner just above the train/bus station. Never had the time to look around the Chinese / restaurant street - the one with lots of restaurants above the park. We stayed in the campsite quite near to the airport and taxied everywhere because we were travelling in a motor home.

We met some nice people but found some of the areas a little "untidy" and so like the UK. One of the main things that we disliked was the FLIES!! On a visit to Rottenest Island the flies were driving us insane as there was no way of hiding from them! Maybe you are used to them but we in the UK are not, so anyone thinking of moving down under with the family and starting a new life should think about the cultural differances - especially the wildlife aspect!

must say though - I did enjoy the odd Victoria Bitter