civmeup Guest

DIY Craaaazy Fool

Hi

I do a lot of DIY at home - electrics, plumbing (gas & water), plastering, you name it. Always seek advice, expertise, knowledge first and like to think i generally do a good job.

aaaaaaaaaanyway I need some air conditioning so I'm probably going to buy the fujitsu 2.6kW(C) 3.6kW(H) model split system. No surprises to all, i reckon i might install it myself. Wondering if anyone out there might give me a few pointers?

Yep, i know that i'm a craaaaaaaaazy fool. Let's skip that bit

thanks!

Re: DIY Craaaazy Fool

It's forbidden by law.

I cannot believe how silly people can be, all the advice in the world is not going to advise you on the pressures you should be running at, the pipe runs etc. its very complicated. Just get the proffesional in. It will save you in the end when you mess it up.

The equipment you need to do it right (flaring kit, vac pump, gauges etc) costs about the same as an installer charges for one job.
    Plus you'll need to buy copper tubing in 18m rolls, so again, you'll have to pay $300 just for the tubing even though you don't need it all.
    So from a financial perspective, you won't save any money doing 1 install yourself. The first install you do will cost you ~$800 to do right.
    A back to back installer only charges $600, so yes you are crazy.

Not to mention you won't know what you are doing and it would be illegal for you to handle any refrigerants or do any electrical wiring.
    That may not bother you, but if the unit breaks down, you will not get anything repaired under warranty, also the attending refrig tech will probably alert the electrical licencing guys and arctick if the job is shoddy.
    edit: don't forget, the unit has a five year warranty, odds are you will need to call someone out during that period.
    So for the priviledge of paying an extra $200 to DIY, you are throwing away a 5 year warranty and opening yourself up to getting into legal trouble.

Arctick is next to useless for going after the "backyarder", but the electrical board will prosecute you.
    Last edited by paul_h; 03-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.

You,re out of your depth this time 'boy'

Get a professional!

PP