capacitor voltage?

Working on a a/c unit(220volt).found a bad run capacitor.The original capacitor is a 35uf-440vac.replaced it with a 35uf-370vac(thats all I could find in-town).will going from a 440 to a 370 vac rating cause any problems?
    Last edited by cretan; 15-08-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Re: capacitor voltage?

When replacing failed capacitors, it is important to use capacitors having voltage ratings equal to or higher than those recommended by the motor manufacturer so if it's an OEM cap of 440 V then replace it with same

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cretan View Post
    Working on a a/c unit(220volt).found a bad run capacitor.The original capacitor is a 35uf-440vac.replaced it with a 35uf-370vac(thats all I could find in-town).will going from a 440 to a 370 vac rating cause any problems?
    Yes it could cause problems but that depend about operating conditions. Voltage of motor capacitor should be at least 130% of operating voltage and up. That value depends on many conditions but safety margin of double operating voltage is most often.
    In your case, it could be OK. but that mean that you added one weaker point then it was before.

Check this!

Thanks guys.I will replace it with the correct one.

A Capacitor with a lower capacitance will increase the current on the running windings..Something to watch..