Threaded View

I've not used durafix, but have used both Lumiweld and Braze Perfect. Both of these products are brazing systems as opposed to welding and need only to be heated with either a plumbers torch or better still a MAPP gas torch.

Lumiweld sounds very similar to your Durafix, it is the choice of many a classic car or bike restorer and relys on the use of a stainless steel wire brush to clean the sections to be joined, heat is applied to the work pieces and then the filler rod is applied with the heat off the work. when the required amount of filler is on the work, heat is then re applied and a stainless steel rod is then used to scratch through the molten filler to the alloy below. The low melting point of the filler rod makes this all very easy.

Braze perfect uses a stainless wire brush to clean initialy, but then a flux must be applied before assembling the work. The filler wire is applied with heat on as this product has a much higher melting point, several times I have been caught out when I have been distracted and the work piece has melted. Both of these systems work well with thin section alloy. I use them for brazing in repair sections on automotive air con tubing, although I now also use the crimping system from Vulkan Lokring
    Last edited by Karl Hofmann; 14-01-2004 at 10:56 PM.
    Karl