Threaded View

Re: Non condensables??

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    I guess it depends on which ones you are reading.

You can't make broad statements and expect them to hold true for every case.

Not all the time. I have modified my answer in this edit.

SteinarN is getting to the heart of the problem. Where the non-condensables appear also depends on how the condensers are piped. If you have a liquid seal (P-trap) in the condenser drain line the non-condensables get trapped on top of the liquid seal. If the liquid seal disappears or the drain line is not trapped at all, the non-condensbales do flow down into the receiver. That makes a lot more sense!
    Thank you for some support

I felt i was taken on heavily.

I agree in what you said about liquid seal. I'm not into the industrial stuff. I dont know anything about the construction of the condensers there. I'm talking about normal comercial fin and tube condensers.

Older condensers had larger diameter tubes and consequently lower pressure drop and lower refrigerant speed in the tubes. If the ricers? also had a large diameter, then i can imagine some non condensibles accumulate in the condenser.

However, with new modern designed high efficiency condensers the tubes has a much smaller diameter and consequently larger refrigerant speed through the tubes. Also the ricers is smaller. This makes it next to impossible for any non condensables to accumulate in the condenser. When i design the liqiud line i aim for a refrigerant speed of roughly 1,5m/s. With such speed i doubt any non condensables can avoid beeing swept along to the receiver regardless of any traps or the direction of the liqiud pipe.
    Last edited by SteinarN; 05-03-2008 at 12:38 AM.