More common than not, i see techs as they become more educated in this industry overlook some of the very basics of the system. As an instructor and consultant i try to instill the K.I.S rule; Keep It Simple.

It is said that it takes a taletened individual to become acclamated in understanding the basics, because there is not really alot of physical evidence that can be seen or sensed, in a sytem, especially when we talk about methods of heat transfer and the latent heats that are involved.

I have been a firm believer of the K.I.S. as i have been known to over look the basics. which leads me to a story:

About a year or two after i started in the transport refrigeration business as an apprentice, i had a unit that was a multi-temp NO cool complaint, I had learned alot in over the two years and started applying every thing i learned and knew. I had invested 80+ labor hours trying to correct this complaint, replaced almost every component in the system after it had proven it was not defective, i was pulling my hair out and losing sleep, I called the OEM service mangers, no one was of any help, One morning I came into work and noticed that the outside walls were soaking wet the cross members were soaking wet and the ground was soaked with water only around the vehicle, it was the only wet area in the lot. It was then that i learned to go check the insulation in the box, and as well for water saturation, sure enough there it was staring me in the face, it was the box insulation the whole time, I overlooked the fact that it cooled well in the eveing when the sun went down, i overlooked the fact that the complaint happened in the spring on the very first hott day. Never again will that happent to me, this was a major learning curve for me and that was when i started applying the KIS rule.

"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

Regards