Hello everyone,

Apologies for revisiting a beginner's topic, but I'm still in the process of learning how to achieve decent copper-to-copper brazing joints. Previously, I attempted using 30% flux-coated silver rods, but the outcomes were less than satisfactory, mainly due to my inability to properly control the heat, affecting the effectiveness of the flux.

Recently, I tried using Harris ECO Smart flux, applying it directly onto the joints and using a 40% bare silver rod for brazing. While the results showed some improvement (pic attached), they were still not the best. I believe the issue may still lie with the type of flux I'm using. The Harris ECO Smart flux is marketed as a "color change" flux, designed to indicate the correct brazing temperature. However, I find this feature somewhat redundant, as conventional wisdom suggests brazing should occur when the copper reaches its characteristic cherry red hue, which typically precedes the melting point of the rod. Surprisingly, I sometimes achieve better joints without using any flux, which shouldn't ideally be the case.

I acknowledge that I need to further refine my skills, particularly in managing the correct type of flame, as well as improving my dexterity and heat control. Nonetheless, I am committed to enhancing the quality of my brazing joints.

Could you all recommend a type of flux that could facilitate my practice and help improve my results?

Thank you!

42356345673636.jpeg