Hi All, I have recently moved into a new house with a Daikin heat pump, its all working well but my electricity bill is very high approx £250 per month (I have a smart meter).

I had the installer come in and check a few things and we found some incorrectly set thermostats which have been corrected. I have also switched off the additional hot water circulation system that was installed as this just seems to rob the tank of hot water and cause the pump or booster to constantly cycle. Currently I have also switched off the booster heater as it seems keen to switch on for about 15 minutes each hour.

While the installer was here he said that they normally set heat pumps to run all the time topping up heating and hot water when required. However looking at my smart meter it seems to be doing a fair bit of water heating during the night and I don't think this is needed.

I am tempted to switch the water heating function off from about 2200-0500 but Is this sensible ? is it possible to control when the booster heating is used?

There must be a balance between heating the water with the pump and heating it with the boosters but I am not sure how to set this or what the relevant parameters are.

I have a feeling that getting a heat pump equipped house set up for efficient energy use is a little more complex that I thought it would be.

In case anyone can offer some suggestion for optimising my setting here are a few details:
  • House is a large detached highly insulated timber frame building with 5 bedrooms but with only 2 people living in it.
  • Most of the living room stats are set to 20 or 21.
  • Most of the bedrooms and other rooms are set to 17 or 18 or lower.
  • We have a heat recovery system.
  • Heat pump outdoor unit is a Daikin ERHQ016BAV3
  • Heat pump indoor unit is a Daikin EKHBH016BB6V3
  • Tank is a Daikin EKHW5U300B3V3