Threaded View

gbgel Guest

Is a refrigeration mechanic a dangerous job?

Hi, I am interested in taking up the trade but unsure about the safety and concerns to my health:

-Are there many substances used in the trade that are harmful
    -How often is wielding required?
    -And many times a day would you have to wield?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Hi gbgel
    There are many harmful substances in our trade - Like asbestos, fosgene, solvents, electromagnetic and electric radiation, phone radiation, refrigerants, stress, acids, oils, viruses and bugs from people, fast moving machinery, electricity, legionnaires disease, PCBs, noise, sun, and much more but around the same as most other trades.
    Welding is required around once a week for where I work but it varies on what company you work for and which area you work in.
    So if your a bit squemish do something else like an office job and you could die from getting a unfit sitting on a chair all day. It's not too bad for me and most my work mates and we enjoy it. We have much better protection today than when I started the trade many moons ago. I don't mean to scare you too much just telling the truth. it pays well compared to average jobs and you can stay honest doing your job.
    Where are you from there could be an opening where I work for an apprentice.
    Thanks for your reply,

I am very interested in the trade and think will enjoy it. I am just concerned about the welding aspect of it and risks associated with it. I was thinking of working on commercial/industrial side of it. Could you tell me if there is more or less welding here? or which areas involve the least?

Cheers
    Last edited by Josip; 22-07-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: The same matter in question